Two persons-of-interest were detained Thursday afternoon in connection with the assault that took place on the Morristown Traction Line Recreation Trail.
On May 6, 2022, a 17-year-old juvenile male and an adult, Lizandro Osorio-Mejia, age 18, were arrested in connection with the above sexual assault. These arrests came within hours of the public release of a composite sketch by the authorities.
The juvenile was charged with one count of Robbery, (as an accomplice), a crime of the First Degree; one count of Conspiracy to Commit Robbery, a crime of the Second Degree; and Theft, a crime of the Fourth Degree. The juvenile will not be identified by name.
Osorio-Mejia was arrested and charged with:
- Two (2) counts of Aggravated Sexual Assault, crimes of the First Degree.
- One (1) count of Sexual Assault, a crime of the Second Degree.
- Two (2) counts of Aggravated Criminal Sexual Contact, crimes of the Third Degree.
- One (1) count of Criminal Sexual Contact, a crime of the Fourth Degree.
- One (1) count of Robbery, a crime of the First Degree.
- One (1) count of Conspiracy to Commit Robbery, a crime of the Second Degree.
- One (1) count of Unlawful Possession of a Weapon, a crime of the Fourth Degree.
- One (1) count of Possession of a Weapon for an Unlawful Purpose, a crime of the Third Degree.
- One (1) count of Terroristic Threats, a crime of the Third Degree.
- One (1) count of Aggravated Assault, a crime of the Third Degree.
- One (1) count of Theft, a crime of the Fourth Degree.
Morristown law enforcement confirmed an active investigation into a sexual assault that occurred in Morristown on Tuesday, May 3, 2022, in the afternoon.
On Tuesday, May 3, at approximately 3:41 p.m., on the Traction Line Recreation Trail in Morristown – a popular walking-running-biking trail that stretches from the intersection of Morris and Washington Avenue past Normandy Park School all the way to Fairleigh Dickinson University – “two males approached a female and asked for money.”
According to Morris County Prosecutor’s Office, when the victim did not provide money, “one of the males pushed the victim to the ground and sexually assaulted her while the other male stood by. Thereafter both suspects fled the area.”
Both suspects are pictured above and below in a screengrab of surveillance footage.
The perpetrators were unknown to the victim and are described by the Prosecutor’s Office –
One suspect is described as a Hispanic male with black hair, approximately 20 years of age, last seen wearing a white polo shirt and blue jeans.
A second suspect is described as a Hispanic male, approximately 20 years of age, last seen wearing a black hat, black hoodie sweatshirt with white lettering on the back, and black pants.
One of the suspects was also seen riding a bicycle.
Anyone with information about this crime or the suspects should contact the Morris County Prosecutor’s Office Sex Crimes/Child Endangerment Unit at 973-285-6200, the Morristown Bureau of Police at 973-538-2200, or Morris County CrimeStoppers at 1-800-SHERIFF (743-7433) or 973-COP-CALL (267-2255).
Reporting is anonymous, more information can be found on the CrimeStoppers website. CrimeStoppers tips can be provided by phone, submitted online, or through the app (P3 TIPS).
You could receive a reward of up to $1,000.