By: Jessica Shorten
NEW CANEY, TX – After a successful first year, Great Things EMC and The Living Word Ministry are teaming up once again this year for their 2nd Annual Blanket Drive to spread warmth and kindness to the homeless population and rescued animals in the upcoming winter months.
The idea for the blanket drive came to Dorothy Blevins last year after seeing a sale on throw blankets at Walmart. Quickly teaming up with Jerry Glover of Great Things EMC Facebook Group to spread the word and gather blankets and other needed good for the local homeless population.
"We will be collecting Blankets, Socks, Hats, Gloves, Hygiene Supplies and Non-perishable food as well as backpacks and one gallon zip lock baggies,” said Blevins. “All items need to be items that are easy to open and do not have to be cooked; it is for the homeless. Thank All Of You We Do Great Things Together Through God!"
However, the mission quickly evolved to also help rescued animals by collecting dog and cat food, towels toys, leashes, and other pet supplies in partnership with Leave it for the Pooch, a non-profit organization led by 13 year-old Jayson Kimberly to provide these supplies to not just local animal rescues, but to homeless pet owners.
If you would like to help with this mission, check out the list of needed supplies below, and then drop off these items at on of the 11 current drop-off locations also listed below.
- Blankets - Walmart sells throws for about $2.50.
- Wet ones
- Tooth brushes
- Tooth paste
- Female personal items
- Tuna in pull tab or plastic containers
- Peanut butter crackers
- Cheese crackers
- Soup with pull tabs
- Beanie weenies
- One gallon zip lock bags
- Dog and cat food soft and dry
- Dog and cat treats
- Dog clothes
- Cleaning supplies
- Pet meds and grooming supplies
- Pet beds
You can drop these items off during normal the business hours of any of the following locations:
- “O My Josh!” – 17573 M T Blvd, New Caney, TX
- Big Rivers Waterpark – 23101 SH 242, New Caney, TX
- Weinerschitzel – 20172 US 59, New Caney, TX
- Junie B Snowcones – 21120 Loop 494, Porter, TX
- La Casita Mexican Restaurant – 23355 FM 1314, Porter, TX
- Redneckgirl’s Sign and Design – 21532 West Hammond, Porter, TX
- A-OK Auto Sales – 23980 FM 1314, Porter, TX
- Oaks of Kingwood Apartments – 3415 Havenbrook Dr., Kingwood, TX
- Travis Davis State Farm Agency – 19747 US 59 N, Ste. 270, Humble, TX
- Montell Enterprises – 14250 FM 1485, Conroe, TX
- Children’s Lighthouse of The Woodlands – 5585 Creekside Forest Dr., The Woodlands, TX
If you are a business that would like to get involved and be a drop-off location, please contact Dorothy Blevins at (346) 402-3285.