FLOURLESS CHOCOLATE CAKE
½ cup semisweet chocolate chopped
½ cup bittersweet chocolate chopped
1 stick unsalted butter
¾ cup granulated sugar
¼ teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
3 large eggs room temperature
½ cup Dutch-process cocoa powder
1. Preheat the oven to 375°F. Lightly spray a metal 8″ or 9” round cake pan, or springform pan; or cut a piece of parchment to fit, lay it in the bottom of the pan and spray non-stick baking spray.
2. Put the chocolate and butter in a bowl, and heat until both are melted. You can also do this in a double boiler at very low heat.
3. Stir in the sugar, salt, and vanilla.
4. Add the eggs, one and a time, beating briefly until smooth. Add the cocoa powder and fold together. Mix until combined.
5. Transfer the batter to the prepared pan.
6. Bake the cake for 23-25 minutes. The top will have formed a thin crust and a toothpick will come out nearly clean.
7. Remove it from the oven and cool it in the pan for 5 minutes.
8. If using a standard cake pan, loosen the edges of the pan with a table knife and turn it over onto a serving plate.
9. Glaze with chocolate ganache or raspberry if desired or serve warm with vanilla ice cream.