How Can You Get Help With Your Water Bill in St. Charles County?

Missy Crystal

Struggling with high water costs? Help is available
A woman relaxes in the tub - maybe she knows her water bill is covered?Photo byTaisiia StupakonUnsplash

In May 2023, the Missouri Public Service Commission (MoPSC) approved a rate settlement that will result in many Missouri residents paying an extra $5 to $7 per month for water costs. For families already struggling, that extra $60 to $84 per year may be difficult - or even impossible - to afford. If you can relate, read on to learn more about how to get help with your water bill in St. Charles County, MO.

1) Apply for LIHWAP

The Low Income Household Water Assistance Program, commonly called LIHWAP, offers one-time payment assistance for qualified Missouri residents. There are a few things to keep in mind when applying for LIHWAP, such as:

  • $750 is the maximum amount you can receive
  • Assistance is available for past-due bills and current bills
  • The program runs from November to September
  • You must have financial assets of $3,000 or less

If you qualify for food stamps or energy assistance from LIHEAP in Missouri, there's a good chance that you'll qualify for LIHWAP since the programs have similar eligibility requirements. The Missouri Department of Social Services has more details about eligibility requirements along with links to LIHWAP applications. You can apply for LIHWAP online in Missouri or contact 855-FSD-INFO (855-373-4636) for a paper application.

2) Visit the New Hope Resource Center

The New Hope Resource Center is a building in the parking lot of Morning Star church, and the agency offers help with rent, utilities, transportation-related expenses, personal care products, and toiletries. St. Charles County residents can apply for financial assistance if they live in one of the following zip codes: 63348, 63362, 63366, 63367, 63368, 63385, or 63390.

Applying for help with your water bill from the New Hope Resource Center requires ongoing meetings with a Care Advocate or Budget Counselor. The website for the New Hope Resource Center states, "We value self-reliance and life transformation, so be prepared for more than just a handout."

You can contact the New Hope Resource Center via the online connection form, via email at, or via telephone at (636) 561-5680. The New Hope Resource Center is located at 1600 Feise Rd, Dardenne Prairie, MO, 63368.

3) Contact Sts. Joachim and Ann Care Center

The Sts. Joachim and Ann Care Center is "the largest social service provider for individuals, families, and children in the Tri-county area of St. Charles, Lincoln, and Warren," according to the organization's website. The Housing Assistance Program offered by Sts. Joachim and Ann provides help with rent, mortgage, and utilities for eligible applicants.

In addition to these services, Sts. Joachim and Ann also helps with food, clothing, personal care items, toiletries, home repairs, job training, and other services. If you need help, contact Care Service at (636) 441-1302. Sts. Joachim and Ann Care Center is located at 4116 McClay Road, St. Charles, MO 63304.

Help is available for St. Charles County residents who are struggling with their water bills. Contact the organizations listed above for more details.

Have you applied for assistance with your water bill? Share your experience below.

This is original content from NewsBreak’s Creator Program. Join today to publish and share your own content.

Comments / 1

Published by

Full-time mom, student, and writer. I cover everything from parenting and personal finance to relationships and health.

O Fallon, MO

More from Missy Crystal

Comments / 0