Pullman, WA

Thousands of Avista Customers Remain Without Natural Gas Service Following Pipeline Break

Mia Carlson
Avista Utilities crews are working to shut off all natural gas meter valves as part of the process to restore service to the Inland NW.Photo byMia Carlson / LC Valley News / KOZE

LEWISTON, ID - Avista Utilities continues to work toward restoring natural gas service to its customers on the Palouse and in the Lewis-Clark Valley region. A pipeline incident early Wednesday afternoon resulted in outages for customers in Pullman, Moscow, Albion, Palouse, Uniontown, Colton, Genesee, Troy, Bovill, Deary, Asotin, Lewiston, and Clarkston.

"We know this incident has caused hardship for you and your families, and we are grateful for your patience as we work to restore your service," Avista says in a letter to customers.

The damaged gas pipeline is owned by Williams Pipeline and supplies Avista’s natural gas.

"Williams Pipeline is currently working on repairs to the pipeline. Avista cannot begin the relight process until those repairs are made. We will update you tomorrow, but we want you to be prepared that the relight process will take some time," the company adds.

Officials estimate it could take a few more days before service is restored.

Additional crews are being called in to restore natural gas service as quickly and safely as possible. Part of the process is shutting off all gas meters.

"Crews are going to each gas meter to make sure it is manually turned off as this is a required part of the process," according to Avista.

Officials say if you are comfortable turning your valve off at the meter, you can do so with the following instructions:

  • Locate the shut-off valve on the pipe near the gas meter.
  • Then, use a large wrench to give the valve a quarter turn in either direction.
  • When the valve runs crossways to the pipe, the line is closed.
  • Once the gas has been shut off, do not turn it back on. Only Avista can turn it back on. Crews will be doing safety checks at the same time as relights to make sure your equipment is safe.

As a reminder, Avista says to never use an outdoor grill or other items not intended for indoor use for heating or cooking indoors, as the fumes are toxic.

This is original content from NewsBreak’s Creator Program. Join today to publish and share your own content.

Comments / 0

Published by

I am old-school journalism - who, what, where, when, why, and how; and "leave your opinion out of it." Decades of experience covering the region of north-central Idaho and southeast Washington State.

Lewiston, ID

More from Mia Carlson

Comments / 0