If you enjoy winter weather, I have amazing news: Boston is predicted to have above-average snowfall this year. With strong nor’easters and cold snaps forecasted, the total snowfall for the winter in Boston is expected to be 45 to 55 inches. So, if you haven't already, it's worth buying some boots, gloves, and anything else you'll need to prepare for heavy snow.
“We could be looking at getting nothing for awhile, and then big nor’easters,” Paul Pastelok told the Boston Herald. “We may have an early storm and then a run on storms later on... We could get a lot of snow in one storm... Snowfall is expected to be greater than last year."
According to the CDC, you should have an emergency kit in your home which contains essential supplies that can be used in the event of a winter storm. It might include:
- Cell phone, portable charger, and extra batteries
- Items to stay warm such as extra hats, coats, mittens, and blankets
- Windshield scraper
- Battery-powered radio with extra batteries
- Flashlight with extra batteries
- Water and snack food that's easy to prepare
- First aid kit with any necessary medications and a pocket knife
- Tow chains or rope
- Tire chains
- Canned compressed air with sealant for emergency tire repair
- Cat litter or sand to help tires get traction, or road salt to melt ice
- Booster cables with fully charged battery or jumper cables
- Hazard or other reflectors
- Bright colored flag or help signs, emergency distress flag, and/or emergency flares
- Road maps
- Waterproof matches and a can to melt snow for water
Despite the fact that many people are living paycheck to paycheck, anyone with snow plow equipment could make a lot of money once heavy snow comes to Massachusetts. Last year, finding snowplow drivers was difficult. That's why communities throughout the state are going to offer high hourly wages to anyone with a commercial license. Plow drivers with a commercial license, for example, can earn up to $200 in Watertown, with rates rising to $310 for those with specialized equipment. Worcester and Lowell will pay up to $155 per hour, whereas Sandwich will pay up to $135 per hour.
A little bit of snow is expected to arrive in New England this weekend. Northern regions in Maine, Vermont and New Hampshire could receive a light dusting. Also, Western Massachusetts is predicted to receive snow around Pittsfield and Gardner. Here's a forecast from the National Weather Service:
What do you think? Leave a comment with your thoughts. And if you think more people should read this article, share it on social media.