The Arizona Dept. of Transportation says there will be no major state road closures this Memorial Day Weekend. But it also offers some advice: Expect the unexpected if taking a road trip.
The AZ DOT gave some additional advice. They say that drivers should monitor weather forecasts, check their vehicles, and pack an emergency travel kit.
For example, Ready.gov says the following items should be in a kit:
- Water (one gallon per person per day for several days, for drinking and sanitation)
- Food (at least a several-day supply of non-perishable food)
- Battery-powered or hand crank radio and an NOAA Weather Radio with tone alert
- First aid kit
- Extra batteries
- Cell phone with charger
- Whistle (to signal for help)
- 7 or more other items (dust mask, plastic sheeting, duct tape to shelter in place, toilettes garbage, wrench, manual can opener, and local maps).
ADOT also says to not forget important items such as prescription medicines. A hat, sunglasses, and umbrella – to help with rain or shade.
In addition, ADOT has the following driving tips while driving in Arizona:
- Never drive while impaired. Buckle up and obey speed limits
- Arrange for a designated driver or ride service if necessary
- Check your vehicle, including tire pressure
- Get some rest before traveling. Fatigue is a serious safety risk
- Avoid distractions. Don’t text while driving
- Don’t park in areas with grasses and brush. Hot vehicle components could start a fire.
Moreover, drivers should be prepared to slow down and move over if ADOT workers and other first responders are along state highways.
ADOT wants Arizona drivers to know that the ADOT Incident Response Unit (IRU), sponsored by GEICO, patrols Phoenix-area freeways in Maricopa County from 4 a.m. to midnight on weekdays and from 6 a.m. to 4 p.m. on weekends.
The IRU operators assist state troopers as well as drivers in need of help.
You can also download the Newsbreak app to become a Registered Follower. That way you can see all my prior articles. Click on the link underneath my profile name above.