California Now Has a Video on Getting a REAL ID Before May 7, 2025 - So That You Will Be Allowed to Board Planes Then

Mark Hake

California recently posted an almost 5-minute video on its REAL ID driver's license website called, "REAL ID Step by Step 2025."

The state wants all California residents to get a REAL ID driver's license before May 7, 2025, as I explained in a recent article, "California Says Residents Will Need a REAL ID by May 7, 2025, In Order to Board a Planes Then Without a Passport."

The new video walks California residents through what it means to get a REAL ID before this dealine.

Here is what that license looks like:
California REAL ID driver's license.Photo byCalifornia DMV

It shows a white star in the upper right-hand corner of the REAL ID license. That signifies that the holder has presented documents to the California DMV.

What the California REAL ID Video Shows

The California REAL ID video walks California residents through creating a CA DMV account. Once you have completed the process of creating an account you can apply for a California REAL ID license or ID card.

The video also shows that you can either renew an existing card and upgrade it to a REAL ID or possibly apply for the first time.

The video also clarifies that you cannot have two REAL ID cards. You either have a California driver's license and also a REAL ID card, or just a California REAL ID driver's license.

The video indicates that the documents needed to get a REAL ID can be uploaded on the application. However, these same original documents, such as birth certificates, a valid unexpired U.S. passport, a Social Security card, and two proofs of California residency, must also be brought to the appointment with the California DMV.

Interestingly, if you are a AAA member, you may be able to complete the document presentation at an AAA office. The video goes into length about the documents you need, as described above.

The bottom line is that you have to prove you are a U.S. citizen or have a valid, unexpired visa to be in the U.S. You also have to show that if you changed your name, you present the documents that show that this was done legally, such as in a marriage certificate, divorce, or adoption, etc.


Don't forget to hit the "Thumbs up" button and also the "Follow" button below. You can also download the Newsbreak app to become a Registered Follower. That way you can see all my prior articles. Click on the link underneath my profile name above.

Mark R. Hake, CFA, writes articles on national and local news, stocks, and market events at,,, and as well as TalkMarkets.

Comments / 31

Published by

Mark Hake is a financial analyst, investor, and Chartered Financial Analyst (CFA). He writes about US and foreign stocks as well as cryptos, hedge funds, and private equity. He previously ran his own hedge fund, investment research firm, and acted as CFO for a fintech startup. He focuses on finding value, arbitrage, and hidden asset opportunities.

Phoenix, AZ

More from Mark Hake

Comments / 0