The East Passyunk Avenue Business Improvement District, home to more than 160 independently-owned businesses in South Philadelphia, is hosting its second year of the bountiful “Garden Days” celebration, a verdant three-week themed series of events ahead of the Philadelphia Flower Show at nearby FDR Park in South Philadelphia. Garden Days begin on Saturday, May 7 and runs through Memorial Day, Monday, May 30.
This year’s Garden Days programming kicks off a little early with Good Buy Supply’s Spring First Friday activation dubbed Bee Our Guest pop-up on Friday, May 6. Local beeswax wrap makers will post up outside of the storefront with goods for sale while educating customers on beeswax wrap usage and care. On Saturday, May 7, community connections are celebrated with Fanny Jackson Coppin School’s Community Garden Day at the South Philadelphia Older Adult Center (East Passyunk and Dickinson St), hosting a guided tour and scavenger hunt. Interested parties can pre-register by clicking here as space is limited.
“We’re thrilled to renew Garden Days this spring as it was such a positive and engaging experience for all last year ahead of the outdoor Philadelphia Flower Show,” said EPABID Executive Director Adam Leiter. “We’re looking forward to seeing great verdant visuals, and having the public enjoy entertaining and informative events along with all the delicious flavors that the Avenue is known for.”
Locals and visitors are encouraged to visit East Passyunk Avenue to enjoy horticultural happenings, including:
- Shop for sustainable and floral finds at Avenue retail and service shops with home goods, toys, clothing, special services, etc., including garden and nature-focused items at Occasionette and Tildie’s Toy Box, flower and plant-shaped treats for pets courtesy of Amelie’s Bark Shop, experts on plants and supplies for sustainable urban gardens at Urban Jungle and Ill Exotics.
- Live music from various local performers is scheduled at The Singing Fountain, Mifflin Triangle, and more throughout the three-week celebration.
- Snack and sip on specialty menu items from restaurants and bars highlighting ingredients such as honey, flowers, sustainable greens, organic items, and more, including Lavender Lemonade & Rose Spritz from Noir, themed cocktails from POPE (Pub on Passyunk East), Ember & Ash, Manatawny Still Works, and more, plus a special Grilled Portobello Garden Days Burger (grilled red onion, tomatoes, fresh spinach, cheddar cheese, chipotle mayo) when mentioning “Garden Days” at P’unk Burger.
- Plant and Me Story Time is presented by A Novel Idea on Saturday, May 14, at the Singing Fountain. Families and kids of all ages are invited to bring a favorite house plant and listen to plants, gardening, and greenery stories.
- Photo opportunities at The Singing Fountain courtesy of Creations By Coppola’s floral, lush seasonal transformation.
- East Passyunk Punch Card: Receive a punch for each $10 spent at participating businesses, and submit the completed card (10 punches) to one of the businesses to win a weekly gift card from a raffle drawing on behalf of EPABID. Proof of $100 worth of purchases sent to email@example.com will also suffice.
- Pop-up classes and events will take place throughout the campaign, in addition to surprises along the Avenue. Check back for details on these interactive happenings coming soon, including speakers and additional partners.