No matter the weather, you can enjoy the taste of delicious BBQ chicken if you own an air fryer. Prepare your own sauce as per the directions or use a store brand that you like.
- 8 to 10 chicken legs
- water to cover
- 1/4 cup salt
- 1 Tablespoon sugar
- Creole seasoning, or other seasoned salt
- Olive oil for drizzling
- Store-bought barbecue sauce/or use the following recipe
- 1 6 oz. can tomato paste
- 2 Tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 2/3 cup apple cider vinegar
- 1/2cup honey
- 1/2 teaspoon celery seed
- 1/2 teaspoon celery salt
- 1/4 teaspoon red or black pepper or hot sauce
Prepare the chicken
- Place chicken legs in a large bowl or pot with enough water to cover. Add salt and sugar and place in the refrigerator to brine for at least one hour, or preferably overnight.
- Drain chicken, rinse well, and pat dry.
Prepare the sauce
- In a small saucepan, blend together tomato paste, Worcestershire sauce, apple cider vinegar, honey, celery seed, celery salt, and pepper.
- Over medium-low heat, cook to a simmer and remove from heat. Set aside.
Air fry the chicken
- Set the air fryer to 375º F.
- Using a meat fork, poke holes in the chicken.
- Coat with a thin layer of olive oil and season to taste.
- Lay chicken in the basket of the air fryer and air fry for 15 minutes.
- Turn chicken pieces over and air fry for an additional 15 minutes.
- Baste with barbecue sauce and air fry for 3 minutes.
- Serve with extra barbecue sauce.
Barbecue chicken legs go nicely with garbanzo bean salad.