Try this simple recipe for chicken and vegetable soup.
Not many dishes are as comforting as a bowl of chicken soup. For this recipe, feel free to use any frozen vegetables you have, or like, to make it your own.
- 2 bone-in chicken breast halves
- Bag of frozen vegetables
- Water to cover
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Bay leaf (optional)
For a creamier soup:
- 2 Tablespoons of any type of flour (wheat, rice, tapioca, etc.)
- Pat of butter or a teaspoon of olive oil
- 1/4 cup milk or heavy cream
- Place chicken breasts in water, add a dash of salt, and the bay leaf, if using.
- Bring to a boil, lower heat to a medium boil, and allow it to cook for approximately 30 minutes until chicken is mostly cooked through.
- Remove the chicken from the water and set it aside.
- Add frozen vegetables to the simmering broth.
- While vegetables are simmering, remove the chicken from the bones and cut it into bite-sized pieces.
- Return the chicken to the pot.
- Season the broth with salt and pepper, stir, and let simmer for about 5 minutes.
If you want the soup to be creamy:
- Heat the butter or olive oil in a small saucepan.
- Add flour and stir for 2 to 3 minutes.
- Add milk or cream, stir very well, and heat through.
- Pour the slurry into the hot soup after returning the cubed chicken to the pot and mix well.
- Let the soup simmer for about 5 minutes.
This soup is delicious on a cold or warm day. Serve with a piece of French bread or breadsticks.