I can't help it: when fall hits, I find myself utterly powerless to resist all the pumpkin spice hype. This sheet cake has a rich, moist texture and a delectable cream cheese frosting but still comes in at fewer than 200 calories per slice. Like most sheet cakes, it's incredibly quick and easy to make.
For the cake:
2 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
2 1/2 tsp. baking powder
2 tsp. ground cinnamon
1/4 tsp. salt
1 cup packed brown sugar
1/4 cup softened butter
1 tsp. vanilla extract
2 large eggs
1 15-ounce can pumpkin puree
For the frosting:
2 tbsp. softened butter
1/2 tsp. vanilla extract
1 package 1/3-less-fat cream cheese
2 cups sifted powdered sugar
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
2. Combine flour, baking powder, salt and cinnamon in a small bowl, stirring with whisk.
3. Combine 1/4 cup butter, vanilla and brown sugar in large bowl. Beat with mixer on medium speed until well combined. Add eggs, one at a time, and beat well. Add pumpkin puree and beat well. Fold in flour mixture.
4. Spread batter in a 13" x 9" baking pan coated with cooking spray. Bake at 350 degrees for 25 minutes or until a wooden toothpick inserted into the center of cake comes out clean.
5. Cool completely in pan on a wire rack.
6. To prepare the frosting, combine 2 tablespoons butter, 1/2 teaspoon vanilla and cream cheese in a medium bowl. Beat with a mixer at medium speed until combined. Gradually add the powdered sugar, beating well. Spread frosting evenly over top of cake
Calories per serving: 178