June Friday Jazz is coming on June 18 at the High Museum of Art from 6 p.m. until 9 p.m, with one-of-a-kind jazz curated by baritone guitarist Alex Gordon.
Gordon sees the baritone guitar as a way of developing the foundation made by these pioneers, taking suggestions from unorthodox solo guitarists like Charlie Hunter, Chet Atkins, and Tuck Andress. Each of them grew a highly unique and individual brand of fingerstyle guitar playing.
He puts the necessary musical elements and exhibits them in a distinctly agreeable and highly listenable sound package. People who have listened to his play must immediately recognize the unique sound of his music.
Usually described as engaging, enjoyable, and relaxing, Gordon's solo work attracts listeners of every age. To get a sneak peek of his performance, you can check his video playing a solo baritone cover of "Just The Two of Us" on his official Youtube channel.
The event will have two musical areas outside the museum. The band will accompany jazz enthusiasts and passersby through the evening, drawing inspiration from jazz history, improvising melodies, and layering notes.
However. note that there will be several safety precautions for Friday Jazz:
- Face coverings are not mandatory for every person that is visiting the museum based on CDC guidance
- There's a designated place for eating and drinking
- Coat check will not be available
- Seating will be limited, and people who have accessibility challenges will be given prioritNo outside food or drink allowed
- Please dress accordingly, as some of the performance will take place outside
- Parking in the Woodruff Arts Center garage is free for members (given on a first-come, first-served basis due to limited capacity).
Pre-registration is required at https://high.org/event_tickets?id=90588. Walk-up tickets will not be available. The event is free for High Museum of Arts members, while $25 for admission is required for non-members.