【Tools and Equipment 】
2. Bakeware and rack. It is best to match one rack with two baking pans. The rack is placed inside the baking tray so that the duck fat that flows down during the roasting process does not directly touch the duck body. If the duck is quickly immersed in the duck fat, the duck skin will not be burnt and crispy.
3. Straws. If you have an air pump(such as a bicycle pump), you can use it too.
4. Hook up. The best is the kind of herringbone-shaped steel hook, which can be hung on the top, and the bifurcation at the bottom can be made to reduce the pressure on the theme. If you don't have a hook, design your own device. Anyway, you can hang the duck upside down.
5. Cauldron. Used to boil 5quart of boiling water. If one pot is not large enough, use several pots to boil water at the same time.
6. Bread. Hold your saliva first, don't be too greedy: the bread here is not for eating. It is used for stuffing and filling into the duck belly. (If you don't have bread, you can use softer buns instead.) As for stuffing bread, they are generally sold in American supermarkets, and they are very cheap. You can buy a large bag for 1 yuan. Typically, when we roast turkey and roast duck, we often use bread dipped in water to fill the chicken and duck's belly so that the meat inside will be very tender. Well-known roast duck restaurants, such as Quanjude and Dadong, their method is to fill the duck belly with water and seal it before roasting so that the duck meat inside is tender and juicy.
Do not use salt to make a roast duck.
The main seasonings used are:
Sweet noodle sauce.
Sugar (maltose is the top choice. If not, honey or sugar can also do the job.
Regarding sugar water, let me say a few more words: sugar water is based on conditions. The best solution is maltose. If you can't buy it, give priority to it. The following are four kinds of sugar water preparation schemes. Just choose one.
Option 1: If using maltose, add water to dilute; the ratio is 1g maltose: 8g-9g water.
Option 2: If you use honey, follow this ratio and don't be greedy. If the sugar water is too thick, the roast duck is likely to be too dark.
Option 3: If you use Coke, brush directly on the duck. The weight ratio of syrup to water in Coke is close to 1:8.
Option 4: If you use brown sugar or white sugar, dilute the sugar in a 1:8 ratio.
Besides, you can also prepare some spices or seasonings according to your personal taste to fill the duck belly. Such as cordyceps, sliced ginger, green onion, rock sugar, red dates, etc., are all fine. Fill the duck belly with the dipped bread before putting it in the oven. The aroma will penetrate the duck meat during roasting.
This is a more traditional way of eating with shredded cucumber and green onion with roast duck slices. If you want to eat with more vegetables, you might add carrots, parsley, etc.
【Beijing Roast Duck with Sauce】
For the dipping sauce, the most classic is sweet noodle sauce, followed by garlic sauce. Garlic sauce can relieve the greasiness of the duck. It is effortless to make. Just chop the garlic and mix it with soy sauce.
The sweet noodle sauces sold in Chinese stores in the United States are usually in bags for sweet sauce. The more common brands are Liubiju and Wang Zhihe. After buying this kind of bagged sauce, it needs to be processed before becoming the legendary "Beijing Roast Duck Dipping Sauce." The specific method is as follows:
1. Prepare a wok, heat the oil, turn the heat down, and then pour in the sweet noodle sauce and fry it for a fragrance. The fried sweet noodle sauce will become fragrant. If not fried, it will taste sour.
2. Add an appropriate amount of sugar and a little water, and continue to fry until the sugar is completely melted in the sweet noodle sauce. The pan is ready. Because the sweet noodle sauce is actually salty, it needs sugar.
3. Sprinkle a little sesame oil before starting the pan to increase the sweet noodle sauce's aroma. This is the delicious Peking duck dip.
【Lotus Leaf Pancake】
The cake with roast duck is also called lotus leaf cake or spring cake.
- Step 1. Combine flour, cornflour, water, milk, eggs, and half the butter in a food processor. Process until batter is smooth. Pour into a jug. Cover and stand for 15 minutes.
- Step 2. Heat a non-stick frying pan over medium heat. Brush with remaining butter. Pour a tablespoonful of batter into a frying pan. Spread to form a thin pancake, about 16cm in diameter—Cook for 2 minutes. Turn and cook for a further 1 minute. Transfer to a plate. Repeat with the remaining batter.
The cake's diameter should not be too small. About 10cm is more appropriate. Crush it thinly and make the oil stickier. If the pie is too small, the meat and vegetables will not be wrapped and scattered quickly.
The other is time control. The lotus leaf cake is best eaten warm and fresh. It is enough to start making 1 hour before eating. I made it so early last time that it was cold when I ate it. That's not a big deal.
What's more important is that the lotus leaf cake has two layers. The outside is crunchy, and the inside is moist. When it cools, the water will infiltrate the whole cake, and the taste is not as good as it was just out of the pan. Of course, you can also serve the non-stick pan cheese again.