Do you want to take your kids swimming this summer, but aren’t sure where to go? The Des Moines metro area offers a wide variety of pools and beaches for swimming. More locations are opening this summer due to relaxed COVID-19 precautions. Here’s where you can find places to swim in Des Moines near you.
- Adventure Bay at Adventureland - Located within Adventureland in Altoona. Admission to Adventureland is required and capacity limitations may apply. This water park opens Memorial Day weekend. See their website for more details.
- Altoona Aquatics Park - The Altoona Aquatics Park is open June 3rd through August 22nd! Discounts are available for Altoona residents.
Both aquatic centers will be open daily beginning June 3. Season passes are now available online at www.ankenyiowa.gov/register. A 10% early bird discount is available to all Ankeny residents through April 30 at 5 p.m.
- Cascade Falls Aquatic Center - Cascade Falls Aquatic Center will open for the 2021 season Memorial Day weekend, May 29-31. Hours are noon - 7 p.m.
- Prairie Ridge Aquatic Center - Prairie Ridge Aquatic Center will open for the 2021 season Memorial Day weekend, May 29-31. Hours are noon - 6 p.m.
Ankeny Splash Pads
- Dean Park - Located at SW 19th Street & SW College Avenue. The splash pad is open May thru September and is free.
- Prairie Ridge Splash Park - The splash pad is free to the public between 10 a.m. -11:45 a.m., Monday - Friday starting June 1. After this time each day paid admission is required.
- Clive Aquatic Center - The Clive Aquatic Center will be opening Memorial Weekend (May 29 - 31) from 11:30 a.m. - 6:00 p.m. Due to some schools within the area still in session, the Clive Aquatic Center will not be open to the general public from June 1 - 4th. Season fully kicks off Saturday, June 5th.
- Lena Moser Swimming Pool - The Dallas Center Lena Moser Swimming Pool will open June 5th. Admission is $2 and capacity is limited to 40 per session. Reservations for sessions are recommended. Call the pool at 515-992-3827 for more details.
Des Moines Area Pools
Des Moines Parks and Recreation swimming pools, aquatic centers, and splash pools will be opening for the season on June 5.
- Ashworth Swimming Pool - The Ashworth pool is open June 5 – September 5 and will open at a 60% capacity.
- Birdland Swimming Pool - The Birdland pool is open June 5 – September 5 and will open at a 60% capacity.
- Nahas Family Aquatic Center - The Nahas pool is open June 5 – September 5 and will open at a 60% capacity.
- Northwest Family Aquatic Center - The Northwest pool is open June 5 – September 5 and will open at a 60% capacity.
- Teachout Family Aquatic Center - The Teachout pool is open June 5 – September 5 and will open at a 60% capacity.
Des Moines Area Splash Pools:
A splash pool is a splash pad with standing water and spray features; offering water play specifically aimed at children ages 10 and under. City of Des Moines splash pools are staffed; however, parental supervision is strongly encouraged.
- Ashby Park Splash Pool
- Martin Luther King Jr. Park Splash Pool
- Pete Crivaro Park Splash Pool
- Union Park Splash Pool
Des Moines Area Spraygrounds
There are 12 spraygrounds operating daily 9 a.m. - 8 p.m. from May 1 through September 30, free of charge.
- Bates Park Sprayground - Opening in June
- Columbus Park Sprayground
- Drake Park Sprayground - Opening in June
- Evelyn K. Davis Park Sprayground
- Fairmont Park Sprayground
- Good Park Sprayground
- Grandview Park Sprayground
- Greenwood Park Sprayground
- McHenry Park Sprayground
- Sargent Park Sprayground
- Woodlawn Park Sprayground
- Tower Park Sprayground
- Sheridan Park Sprayground
Des Moines Area Wading Pools
The Des Moines Parks and Recreation wading pool season extends from June 5 through August 11. The days and hours of operation vary by facility. These water facilities are specifically aimed at children ages 10 and under
- Ashfield Park Wading Pool
- Burke Park Wading Pool
- Jordan Park Wading Pool
- Sayers Park Wading Pool
- Stone Park Wading Pool
- Natavi Swim School - This indoor pool and swim school offers family swims. See their website for more details.
- Veterans Memorial Aquatic Center - The 2021 Season runs from May 29 - August 22
- The Pleasant Hill Aquatic Center - Public swim opening date is TBD
West Des Moines
Holiday Aquatic Center and Valley View Aquatic Center open on Saturday, May 29, 2021
Due to recent changes in COVID-19 guidelines from the CDC and changes to Iowa’s mask mandate, not all pools and water parks have announced their hours or guidelines yet for the 2021 season. Check with your local area pools via phone or their website for more details before attending.
Know of a Des Moines metro area pool, wading pool or splash pad we missed? Leave a comment below and I’ll add it to the list!