Forsyth County, GA) Do you have old cans of paint taking up space in your garage? What about a bag of used batteries or lightbulbs? If so, you can register now for the semiannual Forsyth County Household Hazardous Waste Recycling and Disposal event. The next event is scheduled for Saturday, May 6 from 9 a.m. to 1 p.m. at the Cumming Fairgrounds, Lot #3.
What is household hazardous waste?
Household hazardous waste consists of items that can be harmful if not disposed of correctly - basically, things you aren’t supposed to put in your regular trash. Generally, if it is corrosive (can damage human tissue), ignitable (can catch fire), toxic (causes injury or death if swallowed, inhaled, or absorbed), or reactive (can cause an explosion), it qualifies as hazardous waste. Disposing of these items incorrectly can hurt others or the environment.
You may have hazardous household waste at your home without even realizing it. Common examples include paints, cleaners, oils, fuels, antifreeze, batteries, fluorescent or HID light bulbs, herbicides, and pesticides. Old electronics also qualify since they contain harmful metals like lead, cadmium, and beryllium.
Accepted and non-accepted items
Still not sure if this is the right way to dispose of your items? Here’s a complete list of accepted and non-accepted items provided by Keep Forsyth County Beautiful so you can check ahead of time:
- Aerosols including aerosol paint
- Automotive products (batteries, degreaser, brake/transmission fluid, antifreeze, motor oil, etc.)
- Batteries (all types)
- Chlorinated solvents
- Cleaners (corrosives, spot removers, bleach, acids, and bases)
- Electronics (computers, monitors, laptops, televisions, etc.)
- Fire extinguishers
- Flammables (lighter fluid and waste fuels such as kerosene, gasoline, diesel fuel, etc.)
- Fluorescent bulbs and ballasts
- Glues and epoxy
- Lawn care products (weed killer, fertilizer, etc.)
- Oils and greases (motor, lubricants, industrial)
- Paints and Stains (all types) - Limit 10 gallons per registration
- Pesticides (herbicides, flea and tick products, fungicides, insecticides, rodenticides, etc.)
- Pool Chemicals
- Small propane gas cylinders
- Solvents and varnishes
- Thermometers and thermostats
- Wood preservatives
These items will NOT be accepted at the event:
- Medical waste, needles
- Ammunition, explosives
- Pharmaceuticals (Check with the Sheriff’s Office about how to safely dispose of these)
- Non-hazardous items (you can take these to a county recycling center instead)
Still not sure if you can get rid of your items at this event? Email email@example.com or call 770-205-4573 with specific questions.
How to register
The Household Hazardous Waste Recycling and Disposal event is sponsored by Keep Forsyth County Beautiful in partnership with the Forsyth County Recycling and Solid Waste Department and the City of Cumming. It is for Forsyth County residents only, and you must pre-register since there are only a limited number of spots at each event. Click here to sign up now.
Though the event is free, organizers suggest a minimum donation of $5. This is still a great deal because you’d pay a lot more than that to dispose of some of these items at Forsyth County Recycling Centers. For example, you’d have to pay $10 to get rid of a 5-gallon bucket of paint or $12 to recycle a television.
The address for the event is Cumming Fairgrounds Lot #3, 235 Castleberry Road, Cumming, GA 30040. It is across from the Fairgrounds at the Castleberry Bridge in downtown Cumming.
Do you have ideas for how to Keep Forsyth County Beautiful? Comment below or email firstname.lastname@example.org to let us know.