Are you ready for some bargains? This weekend, July 29th-31st, there are 100 miles of yard sales going on from Harmony, NC to Wytheville, VA.
The annual event is called the U.S. 21 Road Market and the popular event will take you off the interstate and through small towns in North Carolina and Virginia.
What’s for sale at these yard sales? Almost everything you can imagine. Furniture, appliances, clothes, jewelry, linens, tools, and every possible kind of knick knack and collectible.
Taylor Cartner, who is set up at a multi-vendor site at 3074 Harmony Hwy, has been participating in the sale for three years. Cartner, a teacher, says this year she is raising money for her honeymoon fund, as well as her classroom.
Also set up at 3074 Harmony Hwy, are Jalyn Safley and Kevin Sharpe. This is their first year participating.
“Five hours in after five hours of sleep, it’s going well,” Sharpe said. “We’re looking forward to meeting more people and making some sales along the way.”
A few pointers to help you in your search.
* Bring money in low denominations. You won’t want to miss a purchase because the vendor cannot make change.
* Bring your own shopping bags. Often vendors run out.
* Many area restaurants and vendors are selling food and drinks. Make sure you hydrate and don’t forget to eat.
* Be respectful of other event-goers and property owners when you drive down the highway and through the property of vendors. Drive slowly and carefully down the highway as people are often focused on finding vendors and may make quick stops. People sometimes walk on the side of the highway and often are pre-occupied. Park in designated areas and so others can leave at will.
* Sunscreen and bug spray - make sure you don’t forget them.
* Enjoy the view. It’s one of the pleasures of taking a break from the interstate.
* Be a good guest. Make vendors glad they are participating.
* The bright yellow signs will be your guide. That means vendors are participating in the event.
Find a bargain and enjoy the sense of community this event produces. Cruising Highway 21 for that special thing you never knew you wanted is a fun way to spend a weekend.