The Florida Department of Health has issued an alert for Doctors Lake - Mill Cove due to harmful blue-green algae toxins in the water. The alert results from a water sample taken a week ago on May 17.
The health alert means you should “exercise caution in and around Doctors Lake-Mill Cove.”
Residents and visitors are advised to take the following precautions:
- Do not drink, swim, wade, use personal watercraft, water ski, or boat in waters where there is a visible bloom.
- Wash your skin and clothing with soap and water if you have contact with algae or discolored or smelly water.
- Keep pets away from the area. Waters where there are algae blooms are not safe for animals. Pets and livestock should have a different source of water when algae blooms are present. Take your pet to the veterinarian if they consume contaminated water.
- Do not cook or clean dishes with water contaminated by algae blooms. Boiling the water will not eliminate the toxins.
- Eating filets from healthy fish caught in freshwater lakes experiencing blooms is safe. Rinse fish filets with tap or bottled water, throw out the guts, and cook fish well.
- Do not eat shellfish in waters with algae blooms.
The Florida Department of Environmental Protection is tasked with collecting and analyzing algal bloom samples. If you see a bloom, report it to DEP. Call (855) 305-3903 or report it online here.
If you see fish kills, call the Florida Fish and Wildlife Research Institute at 1-800-636-0511.
You should call the Florida Poison Information Center immediately if you feel like you’ve been exposed to a harmful algal bloom or any other aquatic toxin. Report your symptoms at 1-800-222-1222.
Contact the Florida Department of Health in Clay County for more information at (904) 278-3784.