For many, the dream is to play video games and get paid to do it.
Some streamers rake in over 100,000 viewers per stream, just to watch them play video games. These creative individuals receive donations, subscriptions to be premium members and sponsorship deals.
In my opinion, being a streamer is such a double-edged sword. There are two sides. One side is excited that they’re practically running their own business, and the other is stressed that they need to show up every day and constantly use their energy to gain attention and satisfying an audience.
Here are some of the pros of being a Twitch Streamer:
- You get to make your own schedule doing what you enjoy.
- You get to brand yourself in any way you’d like.
- You get to choose the video games you play.
- You work for yourself and no one can tell you what you can or cannot do.
- You grow an audience of people who donate to your stream so you can continue doing what you love more often.
- You can always change video games and try something new.
Here are some of the cons of being a Twitch Streamer:
- You have to create a consistent schedule and stick to it, otherwise, you won’t grow.
- You may not enjoy video games the way you used to because it’s a job now and not as much of a hobby.
- You may get stressed out about how many people follow you and donate to your stream.
- You may want to play a new video game, but since it doesn’t get that much attention, you can’t dedicate time to it.
- People on the internet can say hurtful things and it could damage your self-esteem.
- Coming up with new ideas and entertaining an audience can be draining.
No matter what type of audience you curate as a Twitch streamer, you’re going to have to put in a lot of work.
There’s overhead equipment you’ll need to purchase such as high-quality internet, a microphone, camera, lighting, and so much more.
It’s a journey I’ve been wondering about, but it would take away from all the fun in my opinion. It doesn’t always have to be about the money but with today’s side hustle culture, it might as well be if you have the dream.