Note: The information in this article is from my own research and this is not financial advice.
Happy Holidays to all readers! As you're probably aware, there is a lot of news about Bitcoin and other cryptocurrencies (crypto) due to recent largescale adoption by Paypal, MicroStrategy, and several larger corporations around the world. This is also due to the ever-falling value of the US Dollar. Inflation, stimulus packages, and several other contributing factors increase the value of cryptocurrencies as we watch the mismanagement of the government unfold before our eyes.So, you've all heard of the big names in crypto out there, but which ones should you stash away and protect like gold?
Here are the best cryptos to invest in during 2021.
The world's first digitally engineered safe-haven and the world’s first cryptocurrency, Bitcoin is stored and exchanged securely on the internet through a digital ledger known as a blockchain. Bitcoins are divisible into smaller units known as satoshis — each satoshi is worth 0.00000001 bitcoin. (from Coinbase.com) JP Morgan believes each Bitcoin will be worth $650,000 by 2031. Learn more here.
Algorand is a cryptocurrency and blockchain protocol that aims to be simultaneously scalable, secure, and decentralized. It uses a consensus algorithm called pure proof-of-stake. (from Coinbase.com) Oh, and you can earn 6% interest if you hold it on Coinbase. Learn more here.
Chainlink (LINK) is an Ethereum token that powers the Chainlink decentralized oracle network. This network allows smart contracts on Ethereum to securely connect to external data sources, APIs, and payment systems. (from Coinbase.com) Learn more here.
Have you ever heard of the messaging app called KIK? Kin is their cryptocurrency and there's 1 trillion of them. They have a very low value at the moment $0.000071, which entices the ownership. Why bother buying? It is one of the few cryptos with a real usage and they've just enhanced their blockchain by moving to Solana, making it lightning quick. Learn more here.
USD Coin (USDC) is a stablecoin fully backed by the US dollar and developed by the CENTRE consortium. Coinbase customers with US dollar accounts may exchange 1 USDC for US$1.00 (and vice versa) on Coinbase in jurisdictions where USDC support is available. USDC is an Ethereum token and is the only fiat-backed stablecoin currently supported by Coinbase. (from Coinbase.com) Earn 10% interest on your USDC holding at Celsius. Learn more here.
Where can I buy crypto?
There are hundreds of platforms called "exchanges". An exchange is a place for investors to buy, sell, and hold their crypto. Here are a few that I recommend, complete with signup links and ways to earn free crypto:
- Coinbase: Pros: The most secure platform in the world. Easy to use and great technology. Cons: High transaction fees. Small selection of crypto to purchase. Cons:
- Binance: Pros: Broad selection of crypto. Great technology, great platform. Cons: Not many!
- Bittrex: Pros: The largest selection of crypto in the world. Cons: Has been hacked before.
Ok, you've bought your crypto, now what?
You have a few options here:
- Keep your crypto on the exchange where you bought it. Many exchanges nowadays are very secure and financially stable and it's fine if you leave your investment there. Do your due-diligence and ensure that your decision is best.
- Move your crypto to safe, cold storage wallet. What is this? Cold storage wallets are essentially USB sticks where you can keep your crypto. This is the most secure method of holding your crypto. Here are the two best wallets you can buy:
- Move your crpyto to an interest-earning account! This is new and exciting. While your USD banks are paying out 0.5% interest on the money in your savings accounts (at best), you can earn up to 10% interest on your crpyto. I recommend the platforms below, each of which has $100m in custody insurance:
Stay tuned for more crypto and investment news.