Harvey, LA

Louisiana man accidentally sets own RV on fire

JM McBride

A man accidentally started his RV on fire while he was sleeping inside in Harvey, Louisiana, according to a Harvey Fire Department.

At approximately 10:45 a.m. on March 18, 2023, Harvey Vol. Fire Co. No 2 “responded to a report of a fire on Peters Rd. in Harvey,” a press release from the department says.

Upon arrival in the area, firefighters “noticed heavy smoke coming from a residential area on Bayou Rd. Firefighters found several vehicles, including a recreational vehicle heavily involved in flames,” the release continues.

RV.Photo byRoadpassonUnsplash

“In the vicinity of the fire area, firefighters found the resident of the RV suffering from burns sustained in the fire. Firefighters removed him from the area and called for an ambulance to transport him to the hospital,” the release notes.

According to the Fire Department, about eight Firefighters “extinguished the three vehicles that were involved in the fire which started in the RV then spread to two trucks parked next to the RV,” the release says.

The 78-year-old resident “stated that he was using a propane burner to heat the RV when he went to bed at about 8:00 the night before,” the release notes.

“He was awakened by the heat from the fire which caused several burns as he escaped the burning vehicle and collapsed outside.”

According to the Fire Department, the resident's cell phone “burned in the vehicle so he was unable to call the fire department. The fire burned undiscovered until neighbors noticed the flames and reported the fire. The victim is in stable condition at University Medical Center being treated for his burns.”

Comments / 1

Published by

Award-winning journalist and journalism educator for more than 25 years.

Oconomowoc, WI

More from JM McBride

Comments / 0