Eggs have been a delicious staple in American cuisine for centuries and their use can only be limited by one's imagination. One of the most delicious and easiest of those dishes is a fried egg sandwich. It is great for breakfast, lunch, dinner or even a snack.
Fried egg sandwiches are filling and can be used with any type of bread and filling. Some like to use bagels, croissants, or different types of rolls. Any type of bread is good to use. Most egg sandwiches include cheese and bacon. One very important thing is to remember to season the egg properly with salt and pepper.
Other items that you can put into a fried egg sandwich are tomatoes, lettuce, sliced avocado, ham, bell peppers, sausage, or spinach. Some even put peanut butter on the bread. Various types of cheese are great to use too like gouda or Monterey jack. Canadian bacon and maple syrup is delicous as well. Below is a recipe for a basic fried egg sandwich.
Fried Egg Sandwich:
- 2 sliced sourdough or french bread
- 2 tablespoons butter (divided)
- 2 large eggs
- salt and ground black pepper
- 1 slice of cheddar cheese
- 2 strips thick-cut bacon (cooked)
- Butter the exterior of sourdough bread with 1 tablespoon of butter (½ tablespoon for each slice of bread) and toast the bread, buttered side down, in a skillet set over medium heat until the exterior is golden brown.
- Melt the remaining tablespoon of butter in a separate large skillet set over medium heat and add two cracked eggs. Sprinkle with salt and pepper to taste and let cook for two minutes, or until the bottom of the eggs are firm. Gently flip the eggs and cook for an additional minute. Place the cheese slice on the top of the eggs after flipping so it begins to melt.*
- Remove eggs from skillet, place on top of a sourdough slice, top with bacon, and add the remaining slice of sourdough on top (along with any condiment you desire), ensuring the buttered side of the bread slices are on the exterior.