Bell Peppers have been around for thousands of years. They are a delicious vegetable. Or are they? Bell Peppers are fruits. Fruits come from flowers and come with seeds. Historians think bell peppers have been stuffed for a long time but the first documentation was in the 1890's.
Most people will stuff them with ground meat, and rice, and top with a tomato sauce, and some will add a little grated cheese. Stuffed bell peppers are very popular around the world with different countries having various recipes.
In India, they serve Bharawn Shimla Mirch which is a bell pepper stuffed with spiced mashed potatoes. In Hungary they serve Toltott Paprika is a bell pepper stuffed with ground meat, rice, and paprika. They then serve it topped with sour cream. Below is a basic recipe from America.
Stuffed Bell Peppers:
- 6 bell peppers, (choose your color; green is more bitter)
- 1 lb. lean ground beef
- ½ cup onion, diced
- 2 tsp minced garlic
- 1 cup cooked white rice
- 1 tsp salt
- 14 oz. petite diced tomatoes
- 8 oz. tomato sauce, divided
- 1 cup shredded zucchini (optional)
- 2 tsp Italian seasoning (optional)
- 1 cup mozzarella cheese, shredded
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil. Cut the tops off of your peppers and pull out the seeds and membranes, creating a nice cavity inside. Dip the peppers into the boiling water, letting them cook for just 2 minutes, then pull them out and drain on paper towels.
- Meanwhile, brown the ground beef and onion in a skillet, then drain any fat. Add in the garlic and stir until fragrant. Next, toss in the cooked rice, half of the tomato sauce (save the other half for later), diced tomatoes, shredded zucchini, Italian seasoning, and salt. Stir to combine and cook until heated through.
- Spoon the ground beef mixture into each of the prepared peppers and then place in a casserole dish. Top each pepper with about a tablespoon of the tomato sauce and cover the dish with foil.
- Bake for 10 minutes, remove foil, and continue baking for an additional 15 minutes. Top with the shredded mozzarella cheese and bake for 3 more minutes, or until the cheese is melted. Enjoy!