Air fryers have become a large part of the American kitchen and they have changed the way we cook. With people looking for a fried food flavor without the calories and unhealthy fat, many companies have adapted to the trend.
Convection ovens have been around since the 40's. The first one to be considered an air fryer oven was made in 1945 by William Maxson which he called the whirlwind oven. Fast forward to 2005 and an inventor from the Netherlands Fred Van Der Weij invented a modern air fryer so he could cook french fries without deep frying them in oil. Phillips bought the patent in 2008 and the rest is history.
One of the companies that has greatly embraced cooking in air fryers is Pillsbury. With all of the different refrigerator dough that they have, they made great shortcuts in making all kinds of savory and sweet dishes.
Below is a great recipe for a Taco Crescent Ring using their crescent rolls. You will need two packages of 8. An oven temperature is also included just in case you have a small air fryer and have to do it in the oven.
Taco Crescent Ring:
- 1 lb ground beef
- 1 package (1 oz) taco seasoning (or home made)
- ½ cup water
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese (4 oz)
- 2 cans (8 oz) refrigerated Pillsbury Original Crescent Rolls (8 Count)
- Shredded lettuce, chopped tomatoes, sliced ripe olives, taco sauce or salsa, as desired (all items optional)
- In a 10-inch nonstick skillet, cook beef for 5 to 6 minutes over medium-high heat, stirring frequently, until no longer pink; drain. Add taco seasoning mix home (homemade or packaged) and water; heat to boiling. Reduce heat; simmer 1 to 2 minutes or until slightly thickened. Remove from heat; cool for 5 minutes. Stir cheese into beef mixture in skillet.
- Meanwhile, cut an 8-inch round of cooking parchment paper. Place in bottom of air fryer basket. Unroll the dough; separate it into 8 triangles. On parchment in the air fryer basket, arrange triangles in rings so short sides of triangles form a 2-inch circle in the center. The dough will overlap. The dough ring should look like a sun.
- Spoon beef mixture on the half of each triangle closest to the center of the ring.
- Bring each dough triangle up over the filling, tucking dough under the bottom layer of dough to secure it. Repeat around the ring until the entire filling is enclosed (some filling might show a little).
- Set the air fryer to 325°F; cook for 8 to 9 minutes or until the top of the dough is golden brown. Place a large plate over the air fryer basket, and invert. Discard parchment paper.
- Carefully slide the crescent ring back into the air fryer basket, bottom side up. Cook 5 to 7 minutes longer or until the top of the dough is golden brown. Place a large plate over the air fryer basket, and invert. Remove from air fryer. Cool for 5 minutes before cutting.
*For a conventional oven bake at 375F for 20-25 minutes and let sit 5-10 minutes before serving.