Hot buttered rum is a classic fall and winter drink. It can be enjoyed with an ounce of rum or brandy or without alcohol to warm up during those cold winter nights. It is made by using a hot buttered rum batter. There are many variations to the recipe but below is a popular one with very high reviews.
According to Wikipedia hot buttered rum can be made with with ice cream for creaminess while others leave it out. Wikipedia also comments that January 17 is hot buttered rum day.
An excellent recipe that uses ice cream is below. The link to the recipe is shared by user SHERIMA1 on the famous allrecipes.com website. A video demonstration is on this web page to help people see how easy the recipe is.
- 1 pound unsalted butter
- 1 pound brown sugar
- 1 pound confectioners' sugar
- 1 quart vanilla ice cream softened
- 1 tablespoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- Melt butter in a large pot over medium heat. Blend in brown sugar and confectioners' sugar until smooth.
- Remove from the heat. Add ice cream, cinnamon, and nutmeg and whisk until incorporated. Pour the mixture into a plastic container, cover it, and store it in the freezer.
For a Hot Buttered Rum:
For each serving of hot buttered rum, combine one tablespoon of rum batter and one fluid ounce of rum in a coffee mug. Fill the cup with boiling water and stir to combine. Sprinkle nutmeg over the top if desired.