I get it. Some people are stupid. Companies do things that don’t make sense. It infuriates us when things are good and all of a sudden they aren’t. But that is the nature of things.
Things change all the time.
When they do, we have two options. Want to know what they are? It’s okay if you don’t, I’m going to tell you anyway.
- We can complain about the changes.
- Or, we can adapt and get over the changes.
Honestly, that’s all we’ve got. There isn’t a third option. It’s only these two. So, what are you going to do?
I propose to you that while complaining is easy and can get us the results we want sometimes. It may not be the best option. Furthermore, when we accept change and learn to adapt and overcome, we can do so much more.
However, let's look at the two options more closely.
Complain About Change (CAC)
Okay, so you want to complain, place blame, and be pissed off about the way something has changed. Deal. Let’s see what this chosen path will get you and walk through what happens when we complain about change.
Complaining gets you nowhere.
Okay, that’s not 100% true. If you complain about something or someone with no backbone, they will cave. So maybe it gets you somewhere. But does it feel helpful?
Paths of Complaining
But let’s take this path for one second. The two things that happen. Well, maybe three.
- Complain and nothing happens. Now, what are you going to do? Boycott? Cancel said change? Revolt? Light a dumpster on fire? These are our options now. How do you feel about them?
- Complain and get kicked out. Sometimes we complain about things and then get kicked out, left out, or ignored. I’ve seen it happen a lot. No one wants to deal with it. So, where does that leave you?
- Complain and things go back to the way they were. We have made lives miserable and made our situation better. Or at least what we think is better because the change was removed.
Okay, so we know the fork in the road if we want to complain. What about the other side of the change coin?
Adapt and Overcome Change (AOC)
Alright, if I have convinced you that complaining isn’t the best option, great! If you are not convinced yet but are willing to stick with me, let’s see what happens.
When change inevitably comes to our lives, we can always learn to adapt and overcome any of the difficulties of change. And to be quite frank, this is your best option unless you want to be angry, spiteful, and grouchy.
How do we actually adapt and overcome?
The best way to adapt and overcome change comes in these three steps. They are simple, easy, and practical. But, we have to put our feelings aside and remember what we know to be true.
3 Steps to Overcome Change
We have to take these steps in order to adapt and overcome the changes in our lives. Otherwise, we don’t actually do anything and will find ourselves back at complaining again.
- Accept Change. If we are going to adapt and overcome changes in our lives we must accept them as they come. Otherwise, we will push back against them all of the time even when we are trying to work with them.
- Find Opportunities. Once we have accepted change the best way to adapt to those changes is to look for the opportunities in change. When we start spotting the opportunity we can begin to move toward overcoming change.
- Make the Most of Things. Honestly, this is all we can do sometimes. We need to start jumping right into the opportunity areas and make the most of them. This will help us overcome change and keep moving towards our goal in life.
Alright, now we know the steps. We know what we can do with complaining too. What’s next?
Final Thought and The Most Important Part
Change is inevitable. Growth is optional.” — John Maxwell
The purpose of adapting and overcoming change isn’t simply to move on. It is to grow our character and make the most of our lives. But, we don’t have to choose to grow.
Whether a change occurs that you don’t agree with or you don’t know what to do about it, you need to make the most of it. Sometimes, change comes and it is the best thing in the world for you. But that can be rare.
Change will come to our lives no matter what we do or how we live.
And yet, we have options. We can make the most of it and grow. Or we can complain and die a little. Most of the time, people come around to change even when it's uncomfortable or doesn’t make sense.
So, what are you going to do? How are you going to respond to change in your life? Is there another way that I am missing? Share in the responses below.