If you love feta cheese, you have come to the right place. You can make an Authentic Macedonian Oven Baked Cheese Dip and if you are from Rochester, NY, you are lucky my friend because all the ingredients that you need are in International Food Market & Cafe on Jefferson Road.
This recipe originates from a small country in the Balkan peninsula, Macedonia. I've had the privilege to try it in Macedonia and was able to learn how to make it from restaurant owners themselves!
This Macedonian Baked Cheese Dip or "Sirenje vo Furna" in Macedonian, is made with only 5 ingredients! It is extremely popular in many cities in Macedonia and you can find it at almost any restaurant. Baked Cheese Dip or Sirenje vo Furna, comes plain with just cheese or you can have it with mushrooms and/or ham! If you were to eat this in a Macedonian Restaurant, the dip would be served in a traditional clay dish.
All about the ingredients.
- Ketchup. Only a little bit is needed to coat the bottom of the dish but DON'T skip this! It makes such a difference.
- Domty Feta Cheese Plus. This is a spreadable feta cheese that is saltier and has a stronger flavor than your usual cream cheese. When heated, it isvery smooth and creamy, making it perfect for dipping.
- Bulgarian cheese. Bulgarian cheese is usually made from either cow’s milk, sheep’s milk, or a combination of both. To make an authentic dip, I suggest including Bulgarian cheese, however, there are some substitutions that you can make
- Substitutes: I have yet to find a cheese that tastes very similar, however, I would say that the closest substitutes would be either provolone cheese or sharp, white cheddar. To get the cheese to melt better, buy a block of cheese and grate it yourself.
- Oregano and Sesame Seeds. The two most common toppings in many delicious foods in Macedonian restaurants.
Where to find ingredients:
Both of the cheeses mentioned above can be found in international stores. Your best bet is to search" international food market near me" on Google and before heading over, I suggest calling and asking for:
- Bulgarian Cheese
- Domty - Feta Cheese Plus OR Feta cheese from sheep's milk
If you're from the Rochester, NY area- International Food Market & Cafe on Jefferson Road carries both of the cheese so you can have yourself an Authentic Baked Cheese Dip (Sirenje vo Furna).
- 7oz (200g) Domty - Feta Cheese Plus
- 7oz (200g) Bulgarian cheese
- 1 Tbs ketchup
- 2 tsp sesame seeds
- 1 tsp oregano
- Preheat oven to 400F.
- Using a pastry brush, lightly brush the bottom of a 6in round clay dish or any oven-safe dish with ketchup.
- Add the Feta cheese evenly on the bottom of the dish and top the feta cheese with shredded Bulgarian cheese.
- Sprinkle oregano and sesame seeds over the top of the cheese.
- Cover with aluminum foil and bake covered for 30 minutes. Then, uncover and bake for another 5 minutes or until the cheese bubbles.