One of my favorite grocery stores is my local Wegmans in Webster, NY. I appreciate Mediterranean diet and have adapted to that in the past couple of years so I love a grocery store that has such a great variety of fruits, vegetables, legumes, and so on. Wegmans really pushes for using veggies in meals for me, this grocery store is perfect in every way when it comes to making meals at home.
Not only do they have a variety of healthy and fresh food choices, they also great prepared food options that I get so inspired by.For example, I passed by the olive bar today and saw roasted peppers drenched in oil and they just looked so incredibly delicious! These roasted red peppers reminded me of my grandmother's roasted peppers with garlic and fresh chopped parsley so I decided to make them for dinner. Below you will find Mediterranean dinner that I made and was inspired by my quick Wegmans shopping trip in Webster, NY.
Grilled Chicken Shish Kabobs with brown rice and grilled veggies.
This Mediterranean style dinner that was inspired by my favorite grocery store is perfect for grilling season here in Webster, NY. The goal here goal is to always have a colorful plate and this was exactly that! It was a balanced meal of grains, protein, and so many vegetables. Not to mention, flavor was on point!
- chicken shish kabobs
- brown rice
- roasted peppers with garlic and parsley
- a spring mix salad
Lets break down each portion and how I made it. I hope you find this to inspiring for your next Mediterranean style dinner.
- Chicken Shish Kabobs are a go-to grilling option in our house and we love them each time. I used Wegmans Antibiotic free chicken because I believe it is so much more flavorful and juicier than their regular chicken breast. To add to flavor, I made a quick marinade made of very finely chopped basil, Parmesan cheese, garlic, olive oil, salt, pepper, oregano, and paprika. I cut the chicken into cubes and coated all of it with the amazing basil Parmesan marinade. My veggie choices werered onions and mushrooms. I lightly coated those with extra virgin olive oil and seasoned with salt and freshly cracked black pepper. After the chicken and veggies have been prepped, the next step was to thread the chicken and veggies onto a skewer. I don't usually have a specific rule when it comes to which veggies I use for shish kabobs. Most of the time, it is whatever I have on hand. Finally, I grilled the shish kabobs on a hot gas grill.
- Brown rice is a great choice of a side of many grilled chicken recipes, including these basil Parmesan chicken shish kabobs. I cooked the brown rice per package instructions. I used Wegmans Organic Basmati Brown Rice. To season, once cooked, I added Vegeta seasoning, red pepper flakes, salt, pepper, and fresh parsley.
- Roasted red peppers were probably my favorite part of tonight's Mediterranean style dinner. I roasted sweet peppers on the grill and allowed them to steam in a place covered with foil. After about 15 minutes, I peeled the skin off of the roasted peppers. I drizzled extra virgin olive oil on top and added fresh chopped parsley and minced garlic clove. Lastly I added salt to taste and they were easy and very delicious.
- Lastly, I included a spring mix salad on the side to add more heavy greens to our meal.
For extra added flavor, I added Greek olives as well as green onions to our dish and it made such a difference in the overall taste!
This a wholesome and satiating meal that comes together very quickly. Whenever I make roasted peppers like this I always make more than I need and store them in the refrigerator in a container with a lid to have on hand for similar meals like this. We eat a lot of similar Mediterranean dishes in the summer so roasted red peppers are always a must!
What do you think of this meal? Would you try making it?