This Biscoff Icebox Cake is rich, creamy, and comes together in minutes. Using Lotus Biscoff cookies and Biscoff cookie butter, you’ll have a delicious dessert that will be unique and unlike any other.
Biscoff cookies are crunchy, caramel flavor cookies. They were first invented in Belgium but have since expanded all over the world. Biscoff cookie butter, on the other hand, is a creamy spread that tastes just the the cookies but in a spreadable form.
The idea of an icebox cake was first invented in the 1940’s. The original icebox cake was wafer cookies layered with whipped cream then stored in the refrigerator to set.
The same idea goes for this recipe. Biscoff cookies are layered with an easy mousse made with only 5 ingredients. The mousse is not a traditional type of mousse. Instead, it is made up of:
- Mascarpone cheese
- Biscoff cookie butter
- vanilla pudding mix
- heavy whipping cream
- rum (optional)
It has a very distinct flavor and is stays sturdy so your slices won’t fall apart.
How to make the Biscoff mousse for the Biscoff Icebox Cake.
- Whip together the heavy cream and instant vanilla pudding mix. Set aside.
- Whip together Mascarpone cheese, Biscoff cookie butter, and rum.
- Mix together the whipped vanilla pudding and the Mascarpone cheese mixture until evenly combined.
Do I have to include rum?
If you want to leave out the rum, you can! It won’t alter the recipe a whole lot. The rum, however, does give the mousse a wonderful aroma and makes this dessert irresistible.
Can I substitute cream cheese for Mascarpone cheese?
Yes, cream cheese can be substituted for Mascarpone cheese. It will make the mousse slightly more dense but it will work just fine.
- 2 ½ cups heavy whipping cream cold
- 1 (3.04oz) package of instant vanilla pudding mix
- ⅔ cup Biscoff cookie butter
- 8 oz Mascarpone cheese
- 2 tsp rum optional
- Using a stand mixer fitted with a whisk attachement, whisk together heavy whipping cream and instant pudding mix until thick and sturdy. As soon as the pudding becomes a thick consistency, stop mixing. Transfer into a seperate bowl and set aside.
- In the same mixer, whisk together Mascarpone cheese, Biscoff cookie butter, and rum on medium speed for about 1-2 minutes until creamy.
- Add the whipped vanilla mix into the Biscoff cookie butter mixture and whisk together until everything is evenly combined. Do not over mix.
- Layer the bottom of a 9×9 baking dish with Biscoff cookies. Top the first layer of cookies with 1/3 of the Biscoff mousse. On top of the mousse, add another layer of the mousse. Add one last layer of Biscoff cookies, then mousse. You should have 3 layers of cookies and mousse at this point.
- For decoration and extra flavor, melt 2-3 tablespoons of Biscoff in the microwave (about 15 seconds). Drizzle the top of cake with the melted Biscoff cookie butter and add crushed Biscoff cookie crumbs.
- Rerigerate for at least 4 hours so that the Biscoff Icebox Cake has time to set.