You will love this Parmesan crusted chicken in mushroom sauce! Perfectly crisp and tender chicken infused in rich mushroom sauce with so much flavor. Not only the does mushroom sauce make the chicken taste outstanding, it makes it moist and extra juicy.
I love this recipe because it takes about 35 minutes to make. Also, chicken and mushrooms are staple ingredients in my kitchen, making this dish a weekly go-to. Lastly, one frying pan is required for both cooking the chicken AND making the mushroom sauce because who doesn’t love minimal clean up.
How to make Parmesan crusted chicken in mushroom sauce.
- Prepare chicken and dip in egg wash followed by Parmesan cheese and oregano mixture.
- Cook chicken.
- In same frying pan, cook mushrooms.
- Add garlic, red pepper flakes, butter, and flour. Whisk until thick paste forms.
- Add chicken broth, parsley flakes, salt, and pepper.
- Transfer chicken in mushroom sauce and simmer for 2 minutes.
The ingredients in this recipe are very common but there is some flexibility in making substitutions.
- Baby Bella mushrooms: My go to mushrooms for the sauce are Baby Bella mushrooms, however, any mushrooms will work great for this recipe.
- Chicken Broth: I use low sodium chicken broth so that you can control the salt content in the sauce. The closest substitute to chicken broth is low sodium vegetable broth. Beef broth can also be used for a more rich flavor.
Altering the thickness of the mushroom sauce.
The mushroom sauce will thicken as it simmers. It will thicken even more as it cools. I find that mushroom sauce such as this one can be altered to your own preference. Regardless of whether you decide to thicken or thin out the sauce, a little goes a long way . Make sure you start with the suggestions below and add more if needed.
- To thicken sauce: mix 1/2 teaspoon of all purpose flour in a small bowl and whisk in 1 tablespoon of broth. Whisk so that there are no lumps of flour in the mixture. Add mixture to the sauce and mix until well combined. This will thicken sauce slightly. Keep in mind that it will continue to get thicker as it simmers.
- To thin out sauce: Add 1 tablespoon of broth in the mushroom sauce until desired consistency is reached.
What to serve with Parmesan crusted chicken in mushroom sauce (suggestions).
- Mashed potatoes
- roasted potatoes
- grilled vegetables
- arugula salad
Parmesan Crusted Chicken in Mushroom SauceThis Parmesan crusted chicken in mushroom sauce is everything! Perfectly crisp and tender chicken infused in rich mushroom sauce with so much flavor that comes together in 35 minutes. This is a perfect dinner idea for any day of the week. Course Main Course Cuisine American Keyword chicken recipes, parmesan crusted chicken in mushroom sauce Prep Time 10 minutes Cook Time 25 minutes Total Time 35 minutes Servings 4 servings
- 2 lbs chicken breasts (about 2 chicken breasts)
- 2 eggs
- 1 ¼ cup Parmesan cheese
- 1 tbsp oregano
- 10 oz baby Bella mushrooms sliced
- 2 tbsp butter
- 1 ½ tsp red pepper flakes
- 1 ½ cup chicken broth
- 1 ¼ tbsp parlsey flakes
- 1 tbsp Parmesan cheese
- ½ tsp salt
- ¼ tsp black pepper
- 2 tbsp light olive oil more if needed
- 2 cloves garlic grated
- 1 tbsp all purpose flour
- Slice chicken in half lengthwise. Lay each slice flat on a cutting board. Cover with plastic wrap and using a meat mallet, flatten chicken breasts as flat as you can without breaking them apart.
- In one shallow bowl, add eggs and season with salt and pepper. Whisk eggs until slightly frothy. In another shallow bowl, add 1 ¼ cup of Parmesan cheese and 1 tablespoon of dried oregano and mix together.
- Dip each of the chicken cutlets in the egg wash first, shaking off any access egg, then into the Parmesan and organo mixture. Press each side of the chicken cutlets in the Parmesan mixture so that it is well coated on both sides.
- In a large non stick frying pan, heat light olive oil and add chicken cutlets. Cook over medium heat for about 3 minutes on each side or until chicken has cooked through fully. Add more oil when needed.
- Transfer chicken on a plate and set aside. In the same skillet used to cook chicken in, drizzle more oil if needed and add mushrooms. Over medium heat, cook until the mushrooms soften. Add in pepper flakes and garlic and cook for about 1 minute or until fragrant, mixing frequently.
- Add butter to the mushrooms and once it melts, add 1 tablespoon of all purpose flour and whisk quickly until a smooth paste forms.
- Add chicken broth, parsley flakes, Parmesan cheese, salt, and pepper. Whisk until well combined, making sure there are no lumps left from the flour.
- Transfer Parmesan crusted chicken into the mushroom sauce and let it simmer on low heat for 2 minutes. The sauce will slightly thicken as it simmers.
- Remove from heat and serve warm.