Experimenting with different types of meat is fun if you ask me. We eat chicken weekly and decided to change it up by trying turkey steaks. I had this idea while shopping at Wegmans in Rochester, NY. I have had ground turkey plenty of times but for some reason, never reached for turkey steaks or even turkey cutlets and the time had come.
I was a little intimidated because I didn't know what to expect. I did not know what it would taste like and since I wanted something with easy cleanup, I decided to oven roast the turkey breasts.
Since turkey is a lean meat with not a lot of fat, that also means not a lot of flavor without the help of seasonings or a marinade in this case. I decided to make my go to white wine and garlic marinade and noted the measurements and ingredients. The result was super tasty so I am sharing the recipe below. Making these turkey steaks takes no time at all and nothing fancy is required.
This super simple Oven Roasted Turkey Steaks recipe will change the way you think about turkey. Before roasting, these turkey steaks are submerged in a white wine garlic homemade marinade which makes the extremely flavorful. It will change the way you think about a turkey steaks and these will be on your weekly dinner night rotation in no time.
How to make the marinade:
The marinade is super simple and includes staple pantry ingredients. This include:
- Olive oil
- dry white wine
- Dijon mustard
- minced garlic
- salt and pepper
Whisk all of the ingredients in a large bowl dip each turkey steak slices on both sides so that the whole turkey slice is fully marinated. Then, leave the turkey in the marinade for at least 2 hours and up to 2 days. Flip and mix the turkey pieces within the marinade at least once during so that all slices are evenly flavored.
Roasting the turkey steaks.
Roasting a turkey steak takes no time at all. In about 35-40 minutes at 410°F, you will have yourself tender, flavorful turkey steak. The roasting time will vary based on the thickness of the turkey steaks. Ultimately, the internal temperature of the turkey steaks should reach 165°F.
- 4 turkey steaks
- 1/3 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1/4 cup dry white wine
- 3 garlic cloves, mined
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1 tbsp Dijon mustard
- 1 tbsp fresh chopped parsley
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
1. In a large bowl, whisk together extra virgin olive oil, dry white wine, minced garlic cloves, paprika, Dijon mustard, chopped parsley, salt, and pepper.
2. Dip each turkey steak in the marinade so that both sides are coated. Then, leave the steaks in the marinade and refrigerate for least 2 hours or up to 2 days.
3. Preheat oven to 400F and remove turkey steaks from the refrigerator. Let the turkey steaks sit at room temperature while the oven is preheating.
4. Place turkey steaks in preheated oven and roast for 25 minutes, flip over and roast for 10 more minutes. Turkey is done when it has reached an internal temperature of 165F.
I paired my turkey steaks with a side of rice and beans and a sided spring mix and red cabbage salad. My impression of turkey steak was that it was very tender and the texture was something in between chicken and pork chops.
The marinade gave the turkey steaks incredible flavor.
These are also a great for meal prepping because they were also great the next day after being heated.