I made a cake for my birthday and don't regret it one single bit. I have to admit that this cake did take some time and effort to make but it looked and tasted incredible. It took many ingredients, waiting time, and prep work but for me, it was relaxing and satisfying to make something so incredible that I'm not mad about making my own cake for my birthday.
I wanted something that wasn't basic and honestly it just came to me as I went along. I didn't mind the process because this cake was made in the hight of the pandemic where I had a lot of extra time that I was happy to spend baking. I will be the first to admit that this cake takes time and it is a process but all work into it was well worth it.
The recipe is broken out in layers so I recommend reading the recipe a few times before giving it a shot so you have an idea of what the whole cake will be like.
This cake is made up of:
- chocolate raspberry base sponge
- chocolate cashew layer, cheesecake layer, raspberry jello layer
- followed by a white chocolate mousse
- Lastly topped with chocolate ganache.
Main things to keep in mind when making this cake:
- Assemble the cake in an 8x10 baking dish if following this recipe.
- Bake the sponge in the baking dish you will use to assemble the cake so that it is the same size and fits perfectly
- Wait 1 1/2 hours in between each layer to give the previous layer time to set. While waiting, keep the cake in the refrigerator, covered with plastic wrap.
- Do not freeze this cake. Jello does not freeze well and since this cake includes a jello layer, if you freeze it you will be left with an icy jello layer that will be difficult to eat.
- Make the jello layer in the same size/shape that you will make this cake in so that it fits evenly and give you a nice layer.
STEP 1: Sponge Ingredients:
- 1 cup full fat yogurt
- 3 TBS water
- 1 cup all purpose flour
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1/8 cup vegetable oil
- 1 TBS cocoa powder
1. Mix everything together and bake at 390 for 20-25 minutes or until an inserted toothpick comes out clean.
2. Once the cake cools completely, add 3-4 TBS of UNSET raspberry jello (needed for one of the layers). Use a pastry brush to soak the sponge with the raspberry jello mixture.
STEP 2: Jello Ingredients:
- 1 package raspberry jello
1. Follow package instructions. Remember to add 3-4 TBS to the chocolate sponge, before this jello sets. To make sure the jello comes out evenly. Cool the jello in the same size/shape as your cake pan onto clear plastic wrap. This will ensure the jello can easily be transferred on top of your cheesecake filling.
STEP 3: Chocolate Cashew Filling Ingredients: -
- ½ cup heavy cream or whole milk
- ¾ cups chocolate chips
- 1 ½ sticks of butter
- 1 TBS sugar
- ½ TBS cocoa powder
- ¾ cups of ground cashews
1. Heat heavy cream and just before it boils, remove from heat. Add chocolate chips and let them sit in hot heavy cream for about 1 minute. Mix together so the chocolate melts completely and it is evenly incorporated and smooth and set aside to cool completely.
2. Using and electric mixer, beat the softened at room temperature butter on high speed for 3-5 minutes until smooth and creamy.
3. Add cooled chocolate, sugar, and cocoa powder to butter and beat with a mixer just until evenly combined.
4. Lastly, add the ground cashews and mix with a spatula until the cashews are evenly incorporated in the filling.
5. Add the cashew filling on top of the cooled chocolate sponge in the baking dish.
6. Cover with plastic wrap and keep refrigerated for 1- 1 1/2 hours before adding next layer.
STEP 4: Cheesecake Filling Ingredients:
- ¾ cups of heavy cream
- 1 (8oz) block of cream cheese, softened at room temperature
- ¼ cup of granulated sugar
- 1 TBS powdered sugar
- 1 tsp lemon zest
- 1 tsp lemon juice
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
1. Using an electric mixer, beat on high speed, the heavy cream for 5 minutes and set aside.
2. In a separate bowl, beat together the cream cheese and both sugars until smooth and creamy. Add sour cream, lemon zest, lemon juice, and vanilla and beat on high speed for 3 minutes.
3. If there the mixture is not smooth after 3 minutes, keep mixing until there are no lumps left.
4. Add to your cake on top of the chocolate cashew layer. Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate for about 2 hours or until the cheesecake layer is completely set.
5. Once your cheesecake layer is set, add the raspberry jello on top of the cheesecake layer.
STEP 5: White Chocolate Mousse Ingredients:
- 1/8 cup sugar
- 2 large egg yolks
- 3/4 cups white chocolate chips
- ½ cups heavy cream
1. Beat egg yolks and sugar using and electric mixer on high speed for 5 minutes until it doubles in size and it becomes a light yellow color.
2. Add heated heavy cream to the egg yolks, mixing constantly until the mixture thickens. Make sure the heavy cream has not come to a boil and mixing will prevent the egg yolks from cooking. Add egg and heavy cream mixture in a small saucepan and cook over low heat for 4 minutes or until it becomes this. Make sure you stir constantly.
3. Once it becomes thick, add the chocolate chips and mix until they are melted and completely combined.
4. Cover mixture and place in the refrigerated to set. ( about 1.5-2 hours)
5. Once it has set, beat the heavy cream using an electric mixture for 5 minutes.
6. Fold in the whipped cream into the white chocolate mixture.
7. Add white chocolate mousse on top of the jello layer.
Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate for 1.5-2 hours.
STEP 6: Chocolate Ganache ingredients:
- ¼ cup heavy cream
- ¼ cups + 2 TBS good quality chocolate chips
- 1 TBS corn syrup (optional for a gloss)
1. Heat heavy cream just before it comes to a boil and remove from heat.
2. Add chocolate chips and let them sit for 1 minutes until softened.
3. Mix until evenly combined.
4. Add corn syrup and mix well. Add to cooled but not frozen cake and smooth out the top.
Refrigerate for one hour and serve cooled.