Like many neighborhood-geared theatres in the Rochester area, including the Lylle Theatre on Lylle Avenue, the Monroe Theatre on Monroe Avenue, and the Riviera Theatre on Lake Avenue, the Waring Theatre on Waring Road was of its time.
A Closer Look
According to the Democrat and Chronicle, the Waring Theatre opened in 1950 as part of the brand-new Waring Road Shopping Center. Seating about 1,200, the theater debuted with a double feature of Rocky Mountain and The Lost Volcano. Ads promoted the Waring as “One of the most modern and scientifically planned theaters in the East” with innovations such as “the astounding new Cycloramic Screen with its astounding 3-dimensional effect.”
The Waring Theatre, along with all the other "old-school" movie houses so popular in the 1950s, '60s, and '70s, is now gone. But it's cherished memories will forever linger in the hearts and minds of nostalgic Rochesterians.
[Unless otherwise indicated, this article is a work of nonfiction based on actual events directly experienced by the author.]