According to faim.org, "Dental amalgam is a primitive, environmentally polluting product. It is an antiquated remnant from the Civil War era – which is composed of about 50 percent mercury, a well-known neurotoxin. Aside from the health risks associated with placing mercury into your teeth, there's also the issue of environmental pollution caused by the dental industry. Once released into the environment, dental mercury converts to methylmercury and contaminates fish, which are the largest dietary source of mercury in the U.S."
In America, mercury fillings are astoundingly commonplace and have been utilized to restore the teeth of more than 100 million Americans. However, ongoing research shows that silver dental fillings expose the harmful effects of mercury.
As further explained on www.sfgreendentist.com, here's how mercury fillings poison the body:
"If you have a silver filling, every time you chew a small amount of mercury from your filling (about 2-20 micrograms a day) is released into your body. Chewing gum is especially problematic as it releases an even greater amount of mercury into your system. An increase in temperature in your mouth, for instance, when you drink hot coffee or tea, will also encourage the release of mercury vapors in your mouth."
SFGreendentist.com documents how mercury-laden fillings are "one of the top contributing causes to mercury poisoning. This can cause a wide range of problems, including tremors, insomnia, headaches, nerve damage, kidney problems, and respiratory failure."
In one recent study by the University of Washington, researchers found that the low-level release of mercury toxins into the body from a dental tooth filling can lead to long-term brain damage.
"It’s important to note," SFGreendist.com chronicles, "that pregnant women and those who plan to get pregnant are especially at risk. This is due to mercury exposure being proven to have a devastating impact on the health of unborn fetuses and children."
Additionally, SFGreendentist.com reports that "mercury is poisonous to your body and it definitely should not be in your mouth. The longer you have silver fillings in your mouth, the more mercury you likely have in your body, and the more it will affect your health. Although it will be difficult to remove the mercury already in your system, you can prevent it from continuing to build."
The best option is to remove amalgam fillings as soon as possible. Doing so, and as SFGreendentist.com relays, replaces them with "a safe, non-toxic material is a common dental procedure. Always make sure you have this painless procedure completed by an experienced holistic dentist who understands how to safely and effectively remove amalgam fillings."
According to SFGreendentist.com, composite fillings offer many advantages over mercury fillings, including:
- Completely non-toxic
- Natural coloring to match the shade of your tooth
- Composite fillings are covered by most dental insurance plans
- Require the removal of less natural tooth structure
- Material is strong and durable.
Every individual is different. So, do check with your dentist and medical professional to ensure that removing mercury teeth fillings from your mouth is the healthiest choice for you.
Thank you for reading.