Tucson, AZ

Local Restaurant Placed on Probation Following Health Inspection

Greyson F
https://img.particlenews.com/image.php?url=3SqDMY_0pOvkO4l00
The dishwasher was not working correctly at one local restaurant.Photo byDenny MülleronUnsplash

Another day, another restaurant with health inspection problems. While about once a week another restaurant is flagged for performing poorly on its annual visit by the health inspector, the vast majority of restaurants never have issues, excel at the cleanliness and certifications needed, and you never have to think twice about visiting. However, one Tucson restaurant has never performed all that well on its annual inspections and has had infractions during eight of the nine visits. This last visit was not the exception, resulting in the restaurant being placed on probation.

On October 18, the county health inspection paid a visit to Kettle Restaurant. Located at 748 West Starr Pass Blvd here in Tucson, the restaurant had a whopping 10 violations. The problems started right out the gate, with the handwashing sink not having soap, or paper towels, on hand.

Moving to the walk-in cooler, the restaurant held raw eggs on a shelf directly above ham and bears that were ready to serve. Raw eggs must never be stored above any ready-to-eat food, as drips or spills can easily lead to contamination. Likewise, food stored within the walk-in must not exceed a maximum temperature of 41 degrees, while ground beef, raw meat, and refried beans all tested at 46 degrees.

The washing machine was in disrepair as it did not have any chlorine sanitizer functioning within the appliance. The chlorine levels must be between 50 and 100 PPM (parts per million) in order to adequately disinfect dishes. At 0, it is essentially like washing dishes without soap. The person in charge (PIC) was told they needed to handwash all dishes moving forward until the appliance could be repaired.

Several opened cans of beans and other food products were up to 11 days old. All food must be used or discarded once it has been open for a week. The PIC threw away all of the food that had been sitting around for longer than seven days.

The restaurant also had aerosol cans of pesticides in the storage closet. The cans were clearly labeled “for residential areas only.” The cans were thrown away on the spite. Additionally, the PIC was informed that pesticides must only be laid down and administered by professionals.

The county health inspectors will return to Kettle Restaurant to make follow-up inspections to ensure the required corrections have been made. Until then, the restaurant has been placed on probation.


This is original content from NewsBreak’s Creator Program. Join today to publish and share your own content.

Comments / 21

Published by

I'm here to help bring you the latest and greatest in beer, food, and everything else in between.

Tucson, AZ
32K followers

More from Greyson F

Comments / 0