Home-style chicken pot pie with biscuits
When I think about comfort food, a homemade chicken pie with a biscuit topping is pretty high on my list.
Today, I thought I would share my recipe with you guys. This is a one-course meal. However, the chicken will need to be cooked in advance.
- 1 chicken or about 8 chicken thighs or breasts, cooked and diced (you can use leftover chicken pieces or a rotisserie chicken)
- 6-8 cups of chicken broth or vegetable broth
- 2 stalks of celery, finely diced
- 1-½ chopped carrots, diced or sliced
- 1-½ cups of whole-kernel corn
- ½ cup of cream-style corn
- ½ cup of green beans
- ½ cup of green sweet peas
- 1 large onion, diced
- 2 large potatoes, peeled and diced
- 1 teaspoon of seasoning salt
- 1 tablespoon of freshly ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon of smoked paprika
- 2 tablespoons of self-rising flour
- 1 can of biscuits or homemade biscuit dough, cut into rounds
In a large pan, add the chicken, chicken broth, or vegetable broth. On a range top, cook on medium-high heat for close to twenty-five minutes. Then lower the heat to a simmer. Finish cooking the chicken slowly for about another forty minutes. Add in more liquid along the way (if needed).
Next, chop the celery, potatoes, carrots, and onion into nice, bite-sized pieces. Set aside.
Once the chicken is cooked (falling almost off the bones), take each piece out of the broth, as well as any chicken bones and skin. Place the meat in a separate bowl. Set aside.
Now, add two tablespoons of flour to the broth. Add all the seasonings, and any additional broth as needed. The broth will thicken up, almost like a gravy. Once you reach that stage, turn the heat down to a slow simmer.
Chop the chicken into bite-sized pieces. Then add the chicken bites into the broth/gravy mixture.
Next, add all the chopped veggies and all the seasonings to the broth.
Cook the potatoes and carrots until they're fork-tender.
Now, at this point, add a layer of your favorite canned biscuits or homemade biscuits on top of the chicken stew. Top your pan with a lid. Let the heat and steam cook the biscuit dough. Usually, it will take close to twenty to thirty minutes before the dough has cooked through.
Serve in bowls or on plates. Then dig in and enjoy!
Instructions for cooking the homestyle chicken pot pie with biscuits in a crock-pot
I normally make this recipe in my crockpot, and if you want to do the same, just cook the chicken first, then chop it up. Set aside.
Set the crock-pot temperature to the medium heat setting.Add the flour to the crock-pot first. Then stir in the broth and add all other ingredients (except for the biscuits). The biscuits should always be added in towards the last hour to thirty-five minutes of cooking.
Serve and enjoy!
Comments / 0