Baked BBQ chicken breast
Oven baked BBQ chicken is fairly simple to make and while it doesn't have the charred grill marks, it's still pretty dang delicious.
It was too hot to grill outside over the weekend, with the heat index being 115 (in my area). However, I was determined to make BBQ chicken. Since I was cooking several pounds of chicken breast, I decided to BBQ them in the oven, instead of using my indoor grill.
This chicken recipe is done in two steps. First, I seasoned the chicken breast and cooked it until it was about done. While the chicken was baking, I prepared the BBQ sauce. Then, about the last ten minutes, I take it out of the oven to brush on the homemade BBQ sauce. Then lower the oven temperature and finish cooking it.
- 3 pounds of chicken breast
- ½ teaspoon of smoked paprika
- ½ teaspoon of onion flakes
- ½ teaspoon of seasoning salt
- ½ teaspoon of ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon of minced garlic
- ½ teaspoon of soul season
- ½ teaspoon of turmeric
Preheat the oven to 450 degrees F.
In a spice bowl, combine the above spice ingredients.
Next, sprinkle the seasoning on all sides of each chicken breast. Place the chicken breast in a roasting pan. Place the pan in the oven and bake for fifteen minutes.
While baking, follow the instructions below.
For making the BBQ sauce you'll need:
- 2 cups of ketchup
- 2-4 tablespoons of mustard (depending on how much tanginess you prefer)
- 1/2 cup of apple cider vinegar
- 1/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons of honey
- 1 tablespoon of Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tablespoon of lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons of ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons of paprika
- 1 tablespoon of liquid-smoke
- 1 tablespoon of seasoning salt
- 1 teaspoon of cayenne pepper
- 1 pint jar of honey
- 1 chopped onion
- 3 cloves of garlic minced
BBQ Sauce Instructions:
Mix all BBQ sauce ingredients together in a bowl. Combine well. Spoon as much of the sauce as you prefer over the chicken breast, after the chicken has cooked for fifteen minutes.
Next, lower the temperature to 375 degrees F and finish cooking the chicken for about ten minutes. Serve and enjoy!
My BBQ sauce recipe makes enough to slather several huge pieces of chicken breast. I like adding a lot of sauce to each piece.
Cooking times may vary depending on the size and thickness of the chicken breast.