ITS A FIESTA FOR DINNER
I know, that was very excited....but when you taste these little bites of cheesy, Mexican BLISS...you will understand.
I can't lie, I did base this recipe off my crock pot chicken enchiladas but, I mean, when it's not broke, don't fix it right?
I figured if they were delish in the slow cooker, they would probably be even better in the Instant Pot because WHAT ISN'T! I could totally even see you making my low carb chicken enchiladas in the Instant Pot.
No matter what diet you follow...these spicy-cheesy-rolls of YUM are HERE FOR YOU.
Why you will LOVE this recipe
If you’re new here on the blog, it’s important that you know I have an obsession with kitchen gadgets that make cooking fast and easy! Enter in the instant pot- it has been a serious game changer for me! So I thought to myself, we have instant pot tahini chicken, we have instant pot pasta primavera, why not get our Mexican on and see if we can make chicken enchiladas in the instant pot!? The verdict? It’s possible, not not only that- they are absolutely delicious! These enchiladas are saucy, flavorful, made with healthy ingredients, and are quick and easy to throw together for dinner any night of the week! You are going to LOVE them!
Making these instant pot chicken enchiladas is SO easy and fast, but the result? Flavorful cheesy, soft and saucy enchiladas that the whole family will LOVE! The ingredients needed to make this instant pot meal includes healthy, nutritious foods and spices to create the perfect enchiladas! Here’s what you will need:
- Chicken Broth
- Boneless Skinless Chicken Breasts
- Olive Oil
- Fire Roasted Tomatoes
- Chili Powder
- Crushed Red Pepper Flakes
- Salt and Pepper
- Corn Kernels
- Corn Tortillas
- Organic Red Enchilada Sauce
- Cheddar Cheese
How to make Instant Pot Chicken Enchiladas
Cook the Chicken
Turn on the oven and let it preheat. Pour the chicken broth into the instant pot. Salt the chicken and place it in the pot as well. Place the lid on top and set it to sealing. Cook the chicken for 15 minutes on manual high pressure. Once cooked, do an instant steam release. Drain the chicken broth and shred the chicken with two forks.
Set the instant pot to saute mode. Add in some oil as well as the chopped onions and garlic and cook until soft. Blend the fire roasted tomatoes in a small food processor. Add the blended tomatoes as well as the salsa and spices to the onion mixture and stir to combine.
On a tortilla, spoon some tomato mixture as well as thawed corn and shredded chicken. Roll it up and tight and place it into the bottom of a large baking dish. Repeat with all remaining tortillas and ingredients. Top the enchiladas with enchilada sauce and cheese.
Place the baking dish in the preheated oven and bake until the cheese is melted. Garnish with avocado and cilantro, serve it up and DEVOUR your healthy chicken enchiladas!
Top tips for making enchiladas
- Heat the tortillas: It’s important to heat up your corn tortillas before rolling them with the filling or else they will crack!
- Make it easy: You can use rotisserie chicken to make this recipe THAT much easier.
- Cook the onions well: Cook the onions and garlic a bit longer for more flavorful enchiladas! Soft and lightly golden brown is just the way you want them!
If you know me, you know that I’m always switching things up and encourage you to do the same by getting creative in the kitchen! For this instant pot chicken enchiladas recipe, there’s a couple ways to change the recipe to suit your taste. You can tweak this recipe by using green enchilada sauce to create enchiladas verde, or if you’d like a vegetarian option, roast some butternut squash and dice it up instead of chicken!
How to Freeze Enchiladas
Do these enchiladas freeze well? Absolutely! If you’d like to cook these and then freeze them for easy dinners, it’s simpler than you think! Simply assemble the enchiladas in a freezer safe casserole dish, then top them with enchilada sauce and cheese. Instead of baking it, wrap it tightly with plastic wrap and aluminum foil, label it and pop it in the freezer for up to a month. When you want to serve the enchiladas, thaw it in the fridge overnight, then bake until hot and bubbly!
More healthy mexican favorites
Instant Pot Chicken Enchiladas
PREP:30 minutesCOOK:30 minutesTOTAL:1 hour
- ▢2 Cups Chicken broth
- ▢1/2 Lb Boneless skinless chicken breast
- ▢1 Tbsp Olive oil
- ▢1/2 Cup Onion, diced
- ▢1 Tbsp Garlic, minced
- ▢1 Cup Fire roasted tomatoes
- ▢6 Tbsp Salsa
- ▢1/2 tsp Chili powder
- ▢1/4 tsp Cumin
- ▢1/4 tsp Paprika
- ▢1/4 tsp Crushed red pepper flakes (optional)
- ▢Salt and pepper
- ▢1/2 Cup Corn kernels (thawed if frozen)
- ▢8 8 Inch corn tortillas
- ▢1 1/2 Cups Organic Red Enchilada sauce
- ▢1 Cup Cheddar chees, grated
- ▢Cilantro, for garnish
- Pre heat your oven to 350 degrees. Place the chicken broth in the Instant Pot. Salt the chicken and add it to the Instant Pot. Cover and set to "sealing" and cook on manual high pressure for 15 minutes.
- Once cooked, do an Instant steam release, drain the stock and shred the chicken.
- Heat the oil in the Instant Pot on Sautee Mode. Cook the chopped onion and garlic until soft, about 1-2 minutes.
- Place the fire roasted tomatoes in a small food processor (mine is 3 cups) and blend until well combined.
- Stir the blended tomatoes, salsa, chili powder, cumin, paprika and red pepper flakes, if using, into the onion mixture. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Take one tortilla and place 2 Tablespoons of the tomato sauce in a line along the bottom portion. Top with 1 Tablespoon of the thawed corn and 1/4 cup of shredded chicken. Roll up tightly and place in the bottom of a large baking dish. Repeat with all tortillas – you should be able to fit them in one layer.
- Pour the enchilada sauce on top and sprinkle with cheese. Bake in the oven until the cheese is melted, about 20 minutes.
- Garnish with cilantro and avocado and DEVOUR!