Save oven space with this Instant Pot Chocolate Cake! So tender, fudge-y, and perfectly sweet, this cake is the perfect treat!
If you're wondering what in the heck a cake is doing in the Instant Pot, blame the Instant Pot Banana Bread.
After I realized that you could BAKE in the Instant Pot and the outcome would be SUPREMELY tender and moist (I know, horrible word) I did not want to look back!
This chocolate cake, YOU GUYS.
It might be the fudgiest, most tender cake that ever walked (what?) the face of this Earth.
Fudgier than when we made avocado chocolate cake.
More tender than paleo German chocolate cake.
MIND. BLOWN. ✨
Why you will LOVE this recipe
Who doesn’t love a big, perfectly sweet slice of CAKE? That’s right, no one, at least no one I’ve ever known! Whether you’re baking up a healthy gluten free sugar free carrot cake or a paleo apple gluten free coffee cake, it’s sure to be a hit! One of the most indulgent kinds of cake, in my opinion, is chocolate cake- on the blog, we have quite a few to choose from and today’s easy instant pot chocolate cake is joining the fam today! I know that it might seem strange to bake a cake in the instant pot, but friends, it’s SO worth it! Because it’s pressure cooked in the instant pot, the cake turns out way more moist than regular cake! Also, it has the perfectly sweet, oh-so-fudgy taste that you need in a slice of chocolate cake!
This incredibly tender and chocolatey cake uses healthy fats instead of dairy to make, and it still turns out fabulously- perfect for those in your life with a dairy allergy! You are going to love how easy it is to throw this cake together and you probably have a lot of the ingredients needed in your kitchen already! Here’s what you’ll need to make chocolate cake instant pot:
- All purpose flour
- Granulated sugar
- Cocoa powder
- Baking powder
- Baking soda
- Unsweetened Almond Milk
- Avocado Oil
- Large Eggs
- Boiling Water
- Chocolate Frosting of choice
How to make Instant Pot Chocolate Cake
Add all the ingredients up to the almond milk (not including the milk) to a large bowl. Using a wire whisk, stir to combine. Next, add in the eggs, almond milk, oil and vanilla and continue whisking until everything is well incorporated. Finally, add in the boiling water and mix once again until smooth.
Pour the cake batter into a greased circular 8 inch pan and cover it very tightly with tinfoil. Pour some water into the bottom of the instant pot, then place the trivet inside as well. Place the covered cake plan on top of the trivet.
Cover the instant pot and set it to sealing. Cook for 37 minutes, then allow the pressure to release on its own before 10 minutes before pressing the quick release to let the rest of the steam out.
Uncover the cake and let it sit to cool completely. Frost, serve, and DEVOUR!
Top tips for making Instant Pot Chocolate Cake
- Seal it tightly: When covering your cake pan, ensure to use tinfoil and to cover it VERY tightly to ensure the cake is protected from the water. The water is used to make the cake moist, however you don’t want it to splash into the pan as it’ll then be mushy.
2. Use the right pan: I recommend using an 8 inch circular pan, as it fits well in the instant pot on the trivet and it will allow the batter to bake evenly.
3. Don’t forget the water: This is a very important part of baking in the instant pot as it allows moisture to circulate and moisten the cake. Don’t skip this step!
4. Let it cool completely: It’s important to let the cake cool all the way before frosting and cutting, so that the frosting doesn’t melt and the cake doesn’t fall apart when slicing and serving.
How to make it Gluten Free
If you or someone in your family or group of friends LOVES cake but has a gluten intolerance or simply chooses to not include gluten in their diet, you can totally still make this cake! Simply swap out the all purpose flour for your favorite 1:1 gluten free blend of flour and it should still turn out great.
How to store Chocolate Cake
For this particular chocolate cake, it needs to be stored in an airtight container in the fridge. It cannot be stored on the counter in a container because it is so moist and needs refrigeration to ensure it lasts.
more instant pot recipes you might like
- 1 Cup All purpose flour, sifted (128g)
- ▢1 Cup Granulated sugar
- ▢1/3 Cup Cocoa powder, sifted (30g)
- ▢1 tsp Baking powder
- ▢1/2 tsp Salt
- ▢1/4 tsp Baking soda
- ▢1/4 Cup Unsweetened almond milk, at room temperature
- ▢1/4 Cup Avocado oil (canola or grapeseed would work too)
- ▢2 Large eggs, at room temperature
- ▢1 tsp Vanilla
- ▢1/4 Cup Boiling water
- ▢Chocolate frosting, of choice
- In a large bowl, whisk all the ingredients up to the almond milk (not including the milk)
- Add in the almond milk, eggs, oil and vanilla and whisk until combined.
- Pour in the boiling water and whisk until well mixed.
- Pour the batter into an 8 inch pan and cover tightly with tinfoil. Pour 1 cup of water into the Instant Pot and place the trivet inside
- Place the cake into the pan, cover and set the lid to sealing. Cook for 37 minutes and then let pressure release naturally for 10 minutes before releasing all the way.
- Uncover and let the cake cool COMPLETELY.
- Then, frost and DEVOUR!