If you live near or around Belmont, you are in luck, because I have just discovered some hidden gems in the area and wanted to share my finds with you all. I always knew that Belmont was a small city located next to San Mateo, but never ventured out that way until I discovered some of these drool worthy spots. Here are some recommendations for places to eat at when you are visiting the area!
If you know me, you know I am a huge fan of spam musubi! When I found out about a new and local business that makes a variety of spam musubis, I just had to try it out! Not only do they serve musubis, but they also serve other dishes as well! Here are my favorites
1. Assorted Musubi Sampler: If you can’t decide on which musubis you are going to order, then order the assorted musubi sampler. It comes with 4 musubis: spam and tamago (spam with sweet egg cake between furikake rice), longanisa and egg, shimp ha gao (minced shrimp cake, tobiko, crispy egg wonton, cucumber, dressed in yuzu aioli), and Vietnamese inspired pork (Vietnamese pork with pickled daikon and carrots, crispy wonton skin, cilantro drizzled in house sauce).
2. KBJ Beef Musubi: This particular musubi doesn’t come in the sampler, but it is super delicious! The KBJ Beef Musubi is made with kimchee bacon jam, beef patty, pickled cabbage, cucumber in between rice and then wrapped in seaweed.
3. Nood-omelette: If you love noodles and eggs, you will surely love this dish! The Nood-omelette is made with savory stir fry ramen noodles with veggies wrapped in an egg omelette. It is then topped with a savory hoisin sauce and Japanese mayo! The perfect protein and carb combo.
LOCATION: 407 Old County Rd Belmont, CA 94002
I was shopping in downtown Belmont when a local told me that Saucebelly had one of the best BBQ in the area. So immediately, I had to go and give this place a try. The recommendations were not wrong, this spot has such delicious bbq and the service was amazing as well! Saucebelly is located within the ECR Saloon Bar, so don’t get lost finding it! Here are some of my recommendations at Saucebelly:
1. Pulled Pork Sandwich: I loved the pulled pork sandwich as the crispy chicharrones added a nice texture to the sandwich! The pulled pork sandwich is made with pickles, crispy chicharrones, delicious pulled pork on a hot Petit Pains Brioche Bun, and comes with your choice of Sauce and Side! I highly recommend the sweet potato fries.
2. Dump Truck Tots: Honestly, for about $5, this was a pretty good appetizer. It is crispy tater tots with chili, cheese, and brisket! WORTH IT.
3. Platter #4 ($100): If you're looking for a family meal PLUS some extra leftovers, I feel that Platter #4 is your best option. It comes with 1 lb smoked brisket (which is honestly THE BEST), 1 rack of baby back ribs (super tender and juicy), 1 lb pulled pork, smoked wings, bread, pickles, onions and your choice of 3 large sides 2. Brisket: Honestly, The brisket was the highlight as it was perfectly seasoned, tender, and went well with all the sauces. Oh, and the ribs were smokey and off the bone tender.
4. Double Down: If you're into seasonal or limited items, I would try ordering the Double Down. It's made with two black angus patties, topped with cheddar cheese, ,twice the bacon, lettuce, tomato, and mayo, all on a warm brioche bun.
LOCATION: 864 El Camino Real Belmont, CA 94002
If you love mediterranean cuisine, come to Falafelle! I love all of their dishes and their service is phenomenal! Here are my favorite items.
1. Pita Pocket: This is their top selling item, or so I have been told. It comes with 5 falafel balls served in a pita with zesty cabbage, sauerkraut, roasted red peppers, house salad, pickled turnips, sumac onions, pickled cucumbers and mild banana peppers. I recommend adding HUMMUS! So good.
2. Falafelle Combo: I love ordering the combo because it comes with 6 falafel balls served, hummus, tabbouleh, 2 pieces of dolma in a plate with zesty cabbage, beets, sauerkraut, roasted red peppers, house salad, pickled turnips, sumac onions, pickled cucumbers, mild banana peppers and garbanzo beans. If you wanted to substitute an item, they will do it for you! I highly suggest adding the baba ghannouj!
3. Hummus: Their hummus is so amazing! Probably one of the best hummus i've ever had. you can tell they use high quality ingredients to prepare the hummus.
4. Baklava: For dessert, you must order their baklava. It is sweet and rich in taste and I love the flakey crisp paired with the chopped walnuts and honey!
LOCATION: 1035 Ralston Ave Belmont, CA 94002
Dog Haus Biergarten
If you like hotdogs and beer, look no further, because Dog Haus Biergarten is your one and only destination. Not only does this place serve a variety of beers, but they have some of the best hot dogs and burgers to compliment their drinks!
1. Sooo Cali Dog: This is my favorite hot dog on the menu! I love the sweet Hawaiian bun it's served on and it's made with wild arugula, avocado, tomato, crispy onions, and spicy basil aioli! So good.
2. Cowboy: If you like a saucy and meaty hot dog, this is the one. It is made with smoked bacon wrapped dog, cheddar cheese sauce, crispy onions, and bbq sauce.
3. Bad Mutha Clucka: I am a huge fan of fried chicken, but was hesitant to order a sandwich at a hot dog restaurant, but I was not disappointed! Their fried chicken sando is so delicious! It is made with beer battered chicken OR grilled chicken (if you want to be healthy) breast, lettuce, pickles, and miso ranch.
4. Chili Cheese Tots or Fries: I'm putting this here because I love their chili cheese tots!
5. The Love Boat Tots or Fries: Again, another fries or tots option but made with their haus chili and haus slaw
LOCATION: 1000 El Camino Real Belmont, CA 94002