When is the Indy 500? This is a question that is often asked as soon as the racing season begins. Luckily for IndyCar fans, the 106th running of the Indianapolis 500 takes place this weekend! Below, we will go over the Indy 500 start time, schedule, starting lineup and grid, qualifying notes and past winners of the Indianapolis 500.
When is the Indy 500?
The Indy 500 takes place on Sunday, May 29th, with a race start time of 12:45 p.m. EST. Helio Castroneves is the defending champion of the Indianapolis 500.
Date: Sunday, May 29, 2022
Start Time: 12:45 p.m. EST (with pre-race coverage beginning at 11 a.m.)
Track: Indianapolis Motor Speedway — Indianapolis, IN
Pole Sitter: Scott Dixon
Defending Champion: Helio Castroneves
Indianapolis 500 Qualifying Notes
- Scott Dixon set a qualifying speed record on his way to capturing the pole position. This is the fifth time that the 2008 Indy 500 champion has started the race on the pole.
- Dixon may have been the fastest of them all, but the entire Chip Ganassi Racing fleet stole the show in qualifying. Defending IndyCar Series Champion Alex Palou will join Dixon on the front row in the Indianapolis 500 starting lineup. Marcus Ericsson and Tony Kanaan will both start on Row 2, giving CGR four of the top six starting spots.
- The only other race team to earn a starting position on the first two rows was Ed Carpenter Racing. Rinus VeeKay will be the third car in Row 1 for Sunday's race while Ed Carpenter himself will start fourth.
- Team Penske is noticeably absent from the front of the Indy 500 starting lineup. Will Power was the fastest Penske Chevrolet in qualifying, but he will only be starting 11th.
- Defending Indianapolis 500 race winner Helio Castroneves is back to defend his throne with Meyer Shank Racing. Unfortunately, he will have work to do if he is to win his record-setting fifth career Indy 500. Castroneves will start 27th after a lackluster qualifying run.
- Seven-time NASCAR Cup Series Champion Jimmie Johnson is set to make his Indianapolis 500 debut this season. Johnson qualified 12th, the worst starting spot of the five Chip Ganassi Racing cars. However, he was the second-fastest of the seven Indy 500 rookies who qualified for this year's race.
Indy 500 Starting Lineup and Grid
Indy 500 Winners
The following are the past 10 Indy 500 winners.