Summer is watermelon season! If your kids (or you) can't get enough of this sweet, refreshing fruit, here is a super easy recipe you just have to try.
Homemade Watermelon Popsicles
This recipe has just two ingredients! If you recently bought a big watermelon, chances are you have some left over. These frozen treats are an easy way to use it up.
- 1 watermelon (seedless or remove the seeds)
- 1 cup lemon-lime soda (like Sprite, Starry, or 7-Up)
- Start by cutting the watermelon into 1 inch chunks. You will need about 5 cups total.
- Place the watermelon chunks into your blender. Blend on high for about 1 minute until smooth.
- Add the soda and blend on low just long enough to combine.
- Taste the mixture. If it isn't sweet enough, you can add a bit of sugar (1 to 2 tablespoons). Watermelons vary in sweetness, so do not add sugar without tasting first.
- Pour the watermelon juice mixture into popsicle molds (see below for DIY molds).
- Place in the freezer for one hour.
- When partially frozen but still soft, insert popsicle sticks into the molds and place them back in the freezer.
- Continue freezing for until the popsicles are completely set - about 3 hours.
- Remove the frozen popsicles from the molds. Eat immediately or store in a freezer bag or container.
Variations: Add a few strawberries, mint leaves, or a squeeze of fresh lime juice before blending
How to Make Your Own Popsicle Molds
If you don't have store-bought molds, you can easily make your own with small paper cups (such as Dixie Cups).
Place the cups on a flat baking sheet before filling with the watermelon mixture.
To remove the frozen popsicles from the paper cups, either peel away the paper or run water over each cup for a moment to loosen the popsicle.