The Execution of the Hruby Family

Fatim Hemraj

Alan Hruby was a 19-year-old freshman at the University of Oklahoma studying political science. His parents, John and Joy Hruby, ran ‘The Marlow Review,’ a weekly newspaper, and were well known in their community. Alan’s 17-year-old sister Katherine also worked for the Marlow review, and when the Hruby’s didn’t show up for work on October 10, 2014, no one expected to discover that they had all been murdered by a member of their own family.

Alan was a self-admitted ‘shopaholic.’ He once stated there was, ‘no bigger rush’ than swiping a credit card. Alan would often enjoy luxurious vacations, gamble away thousands and treat himself to whatever his heart desired — all on his parent's dime. When his parents found out, they swiftly cut him off, leaving him unable to continue living his extravagant lifestyle to which he had become accustomed.

To solve his problem, Alan fraudulently opened a credit card in his grandmother’s name and ran up thousands of charges, for which he received probation. As it would turn out, fraud would be the least of the Hruby’s problems — Alan was capable of much more.

In September of 2014, Katherine came home crying and when the Hruby’s housekeeper, Rose Marie Chavez, asked her what was wrong, she said Alan had threatened to kill her and their parents for cutting him off. Rose Marie thought Alan was probably just ‘blowing off steam’ and consoled Katherine, telling her it would all blow over.

With no credit cards and not a dime to his name, Alan began borrowing money from a loanshark and fell into a $3,000 debt. He decided the proper solution to pay off the debt would be to follow up on his threat to Katherine. He decided to annihilate his family to inherit their estate.

On October 9, 2014, Alan disabled surveillance camera’s in the Hruby’s Duncan, Oklahoma home. Using a 9mm pistol stolen from his father, Alan shot his mother Joy dead in the kitchen. When his sister Katherine walked in to investigate the sound of the gunshots, she too was shot and killed. While the bodies of his mother and sister lay dead in a pool of blood, Alan waited for his father to arrive home. When John walked through the door, he was greeted with the same fate. Each family member was coldly executed via two gunshots to the head.

Alan then threw the surveillance equipment and the gun into a nearby lake, before fleeing to Dallas, where he spent the weekend partying with friends in a lavish Ritz-Carlton hotel room. Alan’s friends later reported he seemed completely calm and acted as though not a thing were wrong, a fact that made the grizzly crime feel even more sinister. Rose Marie found the bodies of the Hruby family on October 13, as she arrived for work.

Alan was arrested on October 15, but not for the execution of his family — for violating the terms of his probation by travelling to Dallas and consuming alcohol. He was taken to local police headquarters where he ultimately confessed to the murders. He was charged with three counts of first-degree murder and was immediately sent to prison for three years for violating his probation.

Shortly after Alan’s arrest, he wrote a letter to The Oklahoman stating that he ‘didn’t feel like himself’ that day, and deserved the death penalty for his ‘unspeakable crime.’ However, Alan’s family did not want to sit through a lengthy trial and years of appeals and requested the prosecution not seek the death penalty. As a result, Alan was offered a plea deal to avoid capital punishment in exchange for waiving his right to appeals, providing a detailed account of the murders and for agreeing not to contact any relatives or to profit off the crime in any nature, in the future.

In March of 2016, Alan Hruby was sentenced to three consecutive life sentences, without the possibility of parole.

Comments / 2

Published by

Former criminal justice major. TBI survivor. Get my free true crime newsletter:


More from Fatim Hemraj

Comments / 0