What are the best things to do while in Truth or Consequences NM?
This weekend, Truth or Consequences NM will be in the global spotlight for being one of the closest towns to Spaceport America, where billionaire, Sir Richard Branson’s company — Virgin Galactic will launch it’s “Unity 22” mission on Sunday morning.
While those who are most interested can watch the launch event via live stream, living in nearby El Paso it got me wondering if it might be worth a drive out to see what else was going on in T-or-C this weekend.
Truth or Consequences was originally known as “Hot Springs” because of the abundance of hot springs, and public bath areas. The town is said to have changed its name from Hot Springs to Truth or Consequences in March of 1950 as the result of a radio show contest. The radio quiz show called Truth or Consequences held a contest stating that they would air their 10th anniversary show from the first town that renamed itself after the show. Hot Springs officially changed its name on March 31, 1950, and the program was broadcast from there the following evening.*
What are the best things to do while in Truth or Consequences?
Here is a list of some of the areas most popular attractions that are worth checking out whether on a day trip from nearby El Paso, or Las Cruces or just passing through while traveling on Interstate 25:
1. Spaceport America — Located about 20 miles southeast of Truth or Consequences, is billed as “the first purpose-built commercial spaceport in the world.” Although the Spaceport is closed to public access. Private tours of the facilities can be arranged in advance through tour provider — Final Frontier Tours. Due to COVID-19, all tours will only start at the Spaceport America facility located at Co Rd A021, Truth or Consequences, NM 87901. All tours follow CDC guidelines.
2. Riverbend Hot Springs — 100 Austin St. Truth or Consequences, NM. According to their website the “healing waters” have long been considered sacred by the Apache and Mimbres tribes of Southern New Mexico, the natural, mineral-rich water of Riverbend Hot Springs has been relaxing and rejuvenating warriors and peace-seekers alike for centuries. Untouched and odor-free, the world-class mineral water is pumped from deep within the Earth directly to the pools. Check out their website for more information — riverbendhotsprings.com
3. Visit the T or C Brewery & Taproom — Truth or Consequences Brewery — 410 N. Broadway, Truth or Consequences, NM 87901. I love checking out local craft breweries. The T or C Brewery & Taproom has something for every beer connoisseur, from lagers to IPA’s you can enjoy them there, or pick up some of their “Beer To Go.” (They’ve also opened another location in nearby Las Cruces, NM in Arroyo Plaza — 2001 E Lohman Ave #115, Las Cruces, NM 88001.)
4. White Water Weekends — “Offers a fun way to spend a hot summer day.” Make a reservation for their 6 mile “float trip” on a raft, kayak, or float tube. For more information, visit their website — whitewaterweekends.com
5. Caballo Lake — The Truth or Consequences area also offers other great water recreation like fishing at nearby Caballo lake which also offers boating, kayaking, canoeing, sailing, and swimming.
Truth or Consequences, NM is one of those towns that makes me think;
There is always something to see, if you only know how to look
It’s time to hear what your favorite spots are in Truth or Consequences! Have you been yet? Do you live there? What did I leave off the list?
I’d love to hear your comments and feedback below.
What are the best things to do while in Truth or Consequences, NM?
This is original content from NewsBreak’s Creator Program. Join today to publish and share your own content.