Mystery Craft Meets Its Match: U.S. F-22 Fighter Jet Shot Down Unidentified Flying Object in Alaska

Elizabeth A. Godwin

Officials in the United States have stated that a Chinese balloon that had floated across the United States was taken down by the United States army – less than a week when an F-22 fighter jet from the United States torpedoed an unknown object that was flying high above Alaska.

According to U.S. Brig. Gen. Patrick Ryder, who is the chief spokesperson for the Pentagon, a Sidewinder missile was used to bring down the most recent craft, which was about the size of a small car.

"We don't know who owns this object," John Kirby, the White House spokesperson stated. In addition, he proclaimed that the location from which the flight initially took off is unknown. However, It was stated by the White House that President Joe Biden had given the order to shoot down the drone.

After traveling for a week through the United States and parts of Canada, a Chinese surveillance balloon was shot down on February 4 by another American F-22 fighter jet off the coast of South Carolina. According to the United States government, the balloon was a Chinese surveillance balloon. According to reports from the Chinese government, the ship in question was a civilian research vessel.

There were members of Congress who were critical of the president for not firing down the Chinese balloon sooner. Because of the potential for injuries caused by falling debris, the United States military advised holding off until the storm had passed over the ocean.

The Pentagon and the White House both failed to provide a comprehensive description of the latest object, instead merely stating that it was significantly smaller than the Chinese balloon.

Even after a day of observation, U.S. officials refused to speculate about what the object might be. This raised questions about what kind of object could be so difficult to identify by experienced U.S. pilots and intelligence officials. U.S. officials declined to speculate about what the object might be.

According to the Pentagon, ground-based radars made the discovery for the first time on Thursday. Following this, F-35 planes were dispatched to the scene to investigate. At an altitude of approximately 40,000 feet (12,190 meters), the unidentified flying object was heading in a direction that was perpendicular to the flow of civilian aviation traffic.

The object was brought down by enemy fire off the coast of northeastern Alaska, over frozen territorial seas of the United States, and close to the border with Canada. It was reported by the authorities that it would be far simpler to rescue fragments of the device from the ice as opposed to the Chinese balloon, which had pieces of it sink into the water after it was shot down.

According to Ryder, American pilots that flew beside the most recent item before it was destroyed assessed that there was no sign of a human being on board. He went on to say that it was incapable of turning and did not look anything like an airplane. Ryder and other officials refused to comment on whether or not it was possible that the object in question was only a weather balloon or another form of balloon.

During a conference with the media, Ryder stated that "It wasn't an aircraft per se." At 1:45 p.m. Eastern Standard Time, the F-22 successfully destroyed the object.

When asked why Biden's authorization was necessary, Ryder acknowledged that the U.S. military commander overseeing North American airspace had the authority to shoot down objects that posed a military risk or a risk to the American people. However, Ryder insisted that Biden's authorization was still required.

"In this particular case, it was determined that this posed a reasonable threat to air traffic," Ryder spoke out.

According to the Federal Aviation Administration (FAA), some airspace in northern Alaska has been blocked in order to facilitate activities conducted by the Department of Defense.

Since the shootdown of the Chinese high-altitude surveillance balloon that was 200 feet tall (60 meters high), officials from the United States have been scouring the seas to retrieve wreckage and the undercarriage of electrical gadgetry that was aboard the balloon.

Ryder informed the reporters that "a significant" portion of the balloon had already been retrieved or discovered, which suggests that American officials may soon have additional information about any Chinese spying capabilities that may have been aboard the craft.

Some members of Congress have expressed their gratitude to Biden following the destruction of the object on Friday. "Glad to see the president act swiftly on this new intrusion to our airspace," stated Senator Mark Warner, chair of the Senate Intelligence Committee.

On Thursday, members of Congress blasted the Pentagon for not shooting down the Chinese balloon earlier, highlighting the ongoing worry in Congress regarding the inability of the United States to adequately protect its airspace. The session was marked by a number of tense exchanges.

News Source: Reuters.

Comments / 427

Published by

A writer who loves to write about what's happening in the world. I'm interested in how we can make it a better place.


More from Elizabeth A. Godwin

Comments / 0