A classic lemon tart with a sweet lemon meringue filling.
9 lemon slices, washed and dried
1 cup vegan confectioners’ sugar or cornstarch
⅔ cup vegan milk
1 tsp. Salt
Pinch of vanilla
1 recipe for Lighter Lemon Curd 1 (see recipe)
2 cups meringue-topped Lemon Meringue Pie 1–2 (see recipe)
1 recipe for Sugarless LEMON MERINGUE COOKIES
1. Preheat oven to 425 °F. After then line a 12-cup muffin pan with baking cups and set it aside.
2. Cut 2-inch-long slits across the top of each lemon slice using a sharp paring knife, being careful not to cut into the lemon.
3. In a shallow bowl, stir the confectioners’ sugar, milk, salt, and vanilla. Dip the sliced lemons into the sugar mixture to coat. Arrange the lemons in the muffin pan.
4. Bake for 15 minutes; reduce heat to 350 °F and bake another 15 minutes. Remove to a cooling rack and cool to room temperature before using.
5. Prepare the filling: In a large bowl, whisk together the lemon curd and the hot meringue on high speed until smooth. Spoon the filling into the cups in the prepared pan and level the tops of the cups. Cover with aluminum foil.
6. Place the cookie liners into the muffin cups. After then bake in the oven for about 45 minutes or until golden brown. Remove muffin liners to the cooling rack. Allow cooling completely.
7. Top each tart with about 1 tsp. Lemon curd and garnish with meringue. Enjoy these delicious vegan pie cupcakes.
Lighter Lemon Curd
Adapted from Family Features
Makes about 3 cups
1 cup vegan butter (½ cup)
½ cup powdered sugar
2 large eggs, separated
1 tsp. Vanilla extract.
2 cups confectioners’ sugar (3 1/2 cups powdered sugar)
Preheat oven to 350 °F. After then, line a large baking sheet with parchment paper and set it aside.
In the bowl of a stand mixer or a large bowl, cream together the butter and powdered sugar on medium speed until fluffy. And then beat in the egg yolks one at a time until fully incorporated.
Gradually add the vanilla, one tablespoon at a time, until all the dry ingredients are incorporated. The mixture will be stiff, but let flow.
If the mixture is too thick to spread, add a little more powdered sugar; if it is too thin, add a little more warm water until they reach the desired consistency. Then refrigerate in a covered field till prepared to use.
Lighter Lemon Curd Meringue
Makes about 2 cups
1 cup almond milk
2 large egg whites
1 tsp. Vanilla extract.
In a large bowl, whisk together the almond milk and egg whites until well-combined. Add the vanilla extract and whisk until the egg whites are fluffy and well-mixed.
Pour the lemon curd mixture into the egg whites and fold gently until no lumps remain. Then refrigerate in a covered field till prepared to use.
Lemon Meringue Cookies
Adapted from “Quick & Easy Vegan Recipes”
1/2 cup icing sugar
2 tsps. Lemon zest
¾ cup vegan butter
¼ cup granulated sugar
2 large egg whites
1 tsp. lemon juice
1 tsp. salt
¾ cup meringue-topped Lemon Meringue Pie 1 cup confectioners’ sugar
1. Preheat oven to 425°F. After then line a 12-cup muffin pan with baking cups and set it aside.
2. Place the cookie liners into the muffin pan. After then bake in the oven for about 10 minutes or until golden brown. Just remove to a cooling rack and cool to room temperature before using.
3. Prepare the filling: In a medium bowl, whisk together the icing sugar, lemon zest, butter, granulated sugar, egg whites, and lemon juice until smooth. Spoon the filling into the cups in the prepared pan and level the tops of the cups. Cover with aluminum foil.
4. Bake for 10 minutes; reduce heat to 300°F and bake an additional 15 minutes. Cool on a cooling rack and cool completely.
5. Prepare the meringue: In a small bowl, whisk together the meringue and the confectioners’ sugar until stiff peaks form.
6. Spoon the lemon meringue on top of the tart. Add a sprinkle of meringue and meringue-topped Lemon Meringue Pie to the top of the tart and garnish with the reserved cookies.
Leftovers: If the meringue is too stiff to spread, keep it refrigerated for up to 4 hours. To serve, simply spoon the pie out of the muffin pan onto a platter and serve with a dollop of ice cream and some crust chunks or a vegan whipped cream.