Slow Cooker Beef Stew – Super Bowl Food Recipe
Yield: 8 Servings or more
Prep Time: Only 15 minutes or so
Cook Time: 8 hours or as long as you want depending on the setting on your slow cooker
This is the perfect dish to make ahead of time so you won’t miss a second of the Super Bowl, the pre-game festivities and of course the soon to be infamous Super Bowl commercials. You can easily prepare this on Super Bowl eve and put it on slow cook in your slow cooker crock pot. It will be ready to take with you the next day and ready to serve at your Super Bowl Party!
On chilly winter days, particularly now when most of the country is experiencing a plethora of the white stuff blanketing their towns, staying home or close to home on Super Bowl Sunday with a bit of warm and fuzzy comfort food is so inviting. Beef stew is everyone’s favorite wintertime comfort foods, and it is easily made in your crockpot with very little effort and time, delivering a big tasty reward with a hearty bowl of your yummy creation. The meat is so tender it almost melts in your mouth. Get ready for a winning gameday no matter who wins the Super Bowl, your Beef Stew will surely be the afternoons winner.
· 2 tablespoons olive oil, preferably a good virgin oil
· 2 pounds of stew meat, cut into 1-inch cubes or your perfect cut of meat cut into cubes
· Kosher Salt and Freshly Ground Black Pepper, added to taste
· 1 pound of baby red potatoes or Yukon Golds, quartered
· 4-6 Carrots, cut diagonally into ½ slices
· 1 large onion, dices
· 3 Cloves Garlic – Minced
· 32 - 48 Ounces Beef Broth or Bone Broth
· 1 Cup of Rich red wine, preferably a Cabernet
· 2-3 Tablespoons of Tomato Paste
· 1 Tsp. Worcestershire Sauce
· 1 tsp. dried thyme
· 2 Bay Leaves
· 1 tsp. dried rosemary
· 1 tsp. Smoked Paprika
· ¼ cup of all-purpose flour or Corn Starch (Gluten-Free Option)
· Garnish – at least 2 Tablespoons chopped fresh parsley leaves
1. Heat olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat
2. Season Beef with salt and pepper, to taste and any other complementary spice of your choice. Add beef to the skillet and cook until evenly browned, about 2-3 minutes.
3. Place beef, potatoes, carrots, onion and garlic into at least a 6-qt slow cooker. Mine is an 8 quart. Stir in beef broth, tomato paste, the red wine, Worcestershire, thyme, rosemary, paprika and Bay Leaves until well combined. Season with a bit more salt and pepper to taste. You can always add more salt and pepper at the end too!
4. Cover and cook in the crock pot on low hear for at least 7-8 hours or on high heat for 3-4 hours. I prefer the slow cook.
5. In a small bowl, whisk together flour and a ½ cup of stew broth. I prefer to make a roux with the flower a melted butter first over the stove and let it thicken and then I add the ½ cup of stew broth to the roux. Either way once you have created the flour mixture, stir it into the stew evenly. Cover and cook on high for at least 30 minutes or until it is thickened.
6. When you are ready to serve whether it be immediately or hours later, garnish each bowl with parsley.
Recipe created and prepared by Dynie Sanderson – NapaFoodGalTravels