Public health officials announced some mandatory COVID-19 prevention measures for the gym goers on Wednesday (February 24th, 2021). Today, wearing masks and maintaining a physical distance of 6 feet is necessary at every workout place. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention got a stir as the coronavirus's rapid spread was reported at various gyms of Chicago and Honolulu last year. Allegedly the gym members and instructors were involved in heavy physical activities without wearing a mask.
As a result, many people had suddenly complained about symptoms such as the loss of smell and fever. Moreover, many of them were COVID-19 positive, according to the Chicago Case Study Report published today.
The Chicago Case Study Figures Spell Trouble
If many people breathe heavily during intense exercise in a confined place, the chances of an infection increase. According to a C.D.C research report, the instructors yelling instructions may further facilitate the spread of the COVID-19 virus through respiratory droplets. Richard. A. Teran, a C.D.C epidemiologist, mentioned in an interview to a leading daily, "It's very important for individuals who would like to attend a gym and work out to be cognizant of what the COVID-19 symptoms are, and to be aware that if you are feeling something that looks and feels like a Covid-19 symptom, to stay home as a precaution."
The doctor published a report named Chicago Case Study on 24th February 2021. It showed that the percentage of people getting affected was quite high. Almost 55 people out of 81 attendees of high-intensity fitness classes had COVID-19 infections between 24th August to 1st September 2020.
- 22 people among the affected ones visited the gym on the day they first felt symptoms or on the next day
- 3 People attended exercise sessions on the day they received their COVID-19 positive result or the day after
Solutions for Avoiding Infection
The authors of the Chicago Case Study's note suggest that fitness enthusiasts exercise outdoor. Conducting and attending fitness classes virtually is found to be another effective solution. However, this note is a tiny part of the directives (as of 12th November, 2020) from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. The C.D.C guideline suggests to:
- Follow the local and state regulations
- Select an on-site coordinator esponsible for COVID-19 assessment and control
- Introduce changes in the gym operations and intimate the members about the same
- Inform the employees that any COVID-19 related issue will be directed to the identified coordinator
- Keep all the employees of the fitness center involved while developing a plan
- Check out the CDC restaurant guidelines if your gym has restaurants or juice bars
- Keep the gym well ventilated
- Provide the members with disinfecting solutions, paper towels and wipes
- Ask them to disinfectant every equipment or amenity before and after use
Now, it's time to see how the new report motivates more people to follow the COVID-19 safety measures at gyms. Hopefully, this will encourage infectious patrons to stay at home.
Why do the Facilities Refuse to Remain Shut?
An industry group, The International Health Racquet and Sportsclub Association reported a closure of around 15 percent of the nation's clubs owing to lockdown. The association has designed a slogan "Exercise is vital!". They are approaching people to return to the gyms to avoid more closure and bankruptcy.
The association's senior manager of health promotion and health policy, Alex Larcom said to an esteemed circulation, "In Chicago, you had members who went to class when they were symptomatic or COVID-19-positive." She further added that many clubs are adapting new safety protocols to avoid this kind of incident.