As the weather gets colder and we spend more time indoors, it's the perfect time to pick up a good book! If you're looking to explore beyond the pages and get a bit more up close and personal with the authors, then this is for you; check out these four author events happening around Massachusetts in October.
P.S. Fans of horror looking to immerse themselves in spooky vibes this Halloween should definitely check out the last event on this list!
4) Suzanne Parry (Duxbury)
Don't miss the upcoming author talk with Suzanne Parry, the author of Lost Souls of Leningrad. This captivating novel takes readers on a journey through history, presenting a powerful blend of war, family, and love.
“Lost Souls of Leningrad is a moving tale of two powerful women—grandmother and granddaughter—determined to hold their family together during the siege of Leningrad, an infamous World War 2 disaster.” - Duxbury Free Library
- WHERE: Duxbury Free Library (77 Alden St, Duxbury, MA)
- WHEN: Wednesday, October 4, 2023
- TIME: 6:00 PM - 7:00 PM
- MORE INFO: This event has limited space. To learn more visit www.duxbury.assabetinteractive.com/calendar/author-talk-with-suzanne-parry-author-of-lost-souls-of-leningrad
3) Jean Kwok (Boston)
The Leftover Woman by Jean Kwok is a highly anticipated book that is set to be released on Tuesday, October 10th. According to the book's publisher HarperCollins, The Leftover Woman has been recognized as a most anticipated book by various publications such as The New York Times, Elle, People, and more.
This family drama and mystery explores the bond of motherhood between two different women. The story follows Jasmine Yang, who arrives in New York City from a rural Chinese village in search of her daughter taken due to China's One Child Policy. Rebecca Whitney, a publishing executive, faces a scandal that threatens her career and marriage, causing her to question her role in her family. These two women collide in a divided city, grappling with identity, belonging, and the complexities of motherhood.
To celebrate the release of The Leftover Woman, there will be an evening event with author Jean Kwok presented by The Lenox and Reading with Robin. Jean will be in conversation with Robin Kall, discussing her latest novel.
- WHERE: The Lenox (61 Exeter Street, Boston MA)
- WHEN: Thursday, October 12, 2023
- TIME: 6:30 PM - 8:30 PM
- MORE INFO: This is a ticketed event. To learn more visit www.lenoxmercantile.com/products/admission-to-author-event-with-jean-kwok-with-book
2) John Sayles (Sandwich)
Join Titcomb's Bookshop as they host a special event featuring Oscar-nominated film director/writer John Sayles. Sayles, known for his acclaimed films such as Lone Star, Matewan, and The Secret of Roan Inish, will be speaking about his latest book, Jamie MacGillivray: The Renegade's Journey. This event offers a unique opportunity to hear directly from the author as he shares insights into his new book. During the event, copies of the book will be available for purchase, and John Sayles will be signing books after his presentation.
- WHERE: Titcomb's Bookshop (432 Route 6A Sandwich, MA)
- WHEN: Tuesday, October 24, 2023
- TIME: 6:30 PM - 7:30 PM
- MORE INFO: Attendance is free, but registration is required due to limited space. For more information about how to register, visit https://www.eventbrite.com/e/author-talk-with-john-sayles-jamie-macgillivray-the-renegades-journey-tickets-713892320147
1) Eric LaRocca (Eastham)
You’re invited to join the Eastham Library for an evening of horror with award-winning author Eric LaRocca. On Halloween night attendees will have the opportunity to engage in a conversation about reading and writing horror with the Bram Stoker Award®-nominated and Splatterpunk Award-winning author.
The event will include a question and answer session plus a book signing, where attendees can purchase books for signing from the Brewster Book Store. Eric LaRocca is the author of several captivating works, including the viral sensation Things Have Gotten Worse Since We Last Spoke. Don't miss this thrilling opportunity to delve into the world of horror with Eric LaRocca.
- WHERE: Eastham Public Library (190 Samoset Road, Eastham, MA)
- WHEN: Tuesday, October 31, 2023
- TIME: 6 PM - 7:45 PM
- MORE INFO: For the most up-to-date information regarding this event, visit www.brewsterbookstore.com/events/an-evening-of-horror-at-eastham-public-library
Want To Feel More Connected To Your Community?
If you'd rather start your week feeling more connected to your community than be disappointed it's Monday, sign up for my free newsletter, Community Connections!