(TAUNTON, MA) Mayor Shaunna O’Connell has extended an invitation to the Greater Taunton Area Day of Portugal Committee to celebrate the rich culture and heritage of the Portuguese community with the raising of the Portuguese flag at City Hall on June 10, 2023, at noon. The event marks the Day of Portugal, Camões, and the Portuguese Communities, a national holiday in Portugal commemorating the death of Luis de Camões, a Portuguese poet, and national literacy icon.
“For more than 150 years, countless Portuguese citizens have immigrated to Taunton and made it their home. We treasure the contributions of the Portuguese community that have made our City so culturally rich and diverse,” said Mayor O’Connell. “From the many prominent Portuguese family names throughout the City, to several beloved Portuguese-owned businesses, to the classic annually-awaited Portuguese festivals, Portuguese heritage is significant to the fabric of our community.”
June is nationally recognized as Portuguese-American Heritage Month, and the Day of Portugal Committee has been working tirelessly to organize a month-long celebration that includes several cultural, social, and educational events designed to promote Portuguese and Portuguese-American heritage and culture in Taunton.
The Day of Portugal Committee, led by President Paul Ferreira and Vice-President Teresa Mello, includes members from various Portuguese clubs, organizations, societies, Portuguese-American elected officials, and community representatives throughout the Greater Taunton Area.
To support the promotion of Portuguese Heritage Month, other local organizations are also sponsoring activities such as “Taste of Portugal” at the New Ward 5 Club on Friday, June 9, 2023, from 6:00 pm to 11:00 pm. The event, organized by Prince Henry Society member Liz Soares, promises an evening of authentic Portuguese food, pastries, wine, music, and dancing.
The Day of Portugal Committee has also lined up several exciting events for the celebration, including a scholarship award banquet, a Holy Ghost Feast, and a wine tasting. Additionally, there will be a documentary on Portuguese life in New England and a craft event, among others. Check out the full list of festivities below, sponsored by the Day of Portugal Committee, and experience the vibrant and diverse culture of the Portuguese community.
- June 2, 6:00 pm: Prince Henry Society Scholarship Award Banquet (Taunton Sports Club)
- June 2-5, 6:00 pm: Holy Ghost Feast (Taunton Eagles Club)
- June 8, 6:00 pm: E. Taunton Holy Ghost Reception, Angra de Heroismo Students (E. Taunton Holy Ghost Hall)
- June 10, 12:00 pm: Flag Raising Ceremony and Reception (City Hall)
- June 11, 8:00 am: Day of Portugal Extended Activities (Taunton Sports Club)
- June 13, 10:00 am: Day of Portugal Celebration, Portuguese American Legislative Caucus (State House, Boston, MA)
- June 15, 6:00 pm: Wine Tasting (The Pearl Restaurant)
- June 17, 1:00 pm: Documentary - Portuguese in New England (Old Colony History Museum)
- June 22-25, 6:00 pm: Holy Ghost Feast (Taunton Sports Club)
- June 28, 6:00 pm: Portuguese Craft Event (Trescott Street Gallery)
Want To Feel More Connected To Your Community?
If you'd rather start your week feeling more connected to your community than be disappointed it's Monday, sign up for my free newsletter, Community Connections!
If you enjoy this article, be sure to click "follow" to be one of the first to know when I publish.